Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for real world value on a 1955 mfg. Commander LW. Gun is tu-toned. Frame has been glass beaded to coltalloy finish. Little wear, perfect bore, no box or papers. Pacmeyer grips. Trigger and hammer work. Again, looking for price that would get your wallets out. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Being that it's finish has been changed and the Pachmayre grips - I'd $500. - $600. Hard to say without actually seeing the gun.

I see Doc jumped in while I was typing, your a little more generous than I am Doc.

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
No offense, but if I read this correctly there is no original finish on the frame and this equates to "little wear?" If made in 1955 it's just a Commander, not a LW Commander. I'd guesstimate with some luck $500 tops.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
five digit serial number puts it in 1955. according to proofhouse. has LW after serial number. and it is light. you're right about finish. wasn't thinking. I was speaking to slide wear. And thanks for replies. At those prices I can do some more custom work and not feel I'm messing up something special.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
some may disagree with me but imo it stopped being something special when the frame was bead blasted.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
five digit serial number puts it in 1955. according to proofhouse. has LW after serial number. and it is light. you're right about finish. wasn't thinking. I was speaking to slide wear. And thanks for replies. At those prices I can do some more custom work and not feel I'm messing up something special.
Colt did not officially start calling this gun the "Light Weight Commander" until 1970 when they coincidently introduced the first steel framed version. So all the gun from 1950 through 1968 that had the "LW" in the serial number were called Commanders...go figure.

I agree with between $500.00 and $600.00

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Colt did not officially start calling this gun the "Light Weight Commander" until 1970 when they coincidently introduced the first steel framed version. So all the gun from 1950 through 1968 that had the "LW" in the serial number were called Commanders...go figure.

I agree with between $500.00 and $600.00
Thanks for the info. It was an assumption on my part to call it a Light Weight. I keep forgetting in Colt World, sometimes 2+2=7...lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts