Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend picked this up recently. The seller told him it was a commercial pistol not military. When I saw it I noticed cartouches on both grips and told him he should get a Colt Archival letter as it was probably was a military pistol after all. Well the letter just came in and it turns out the pistol was purchased by the War Dept. In June of 1862. Here are some pics.

Len image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My best friend picked this up recently. The seller told him it was a commercial pistol not military. When I saw it I noticed cartouches on both grips and told him he should get a Colt Archival letter as it was probably was a military pistol after all. Well the letter just came in and it turns out the pistol was purchased by the War Dept. In June of 1862. Here are some pics.

Len View attachment 652369 View attachment 652371 View attachment 652373 View attachment 652379 View attachment 652381
This is a decent Colt M1860 with much better than average grips. With letters on these costing $300 from Colt, it is neat to see a letter every now and then.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
You should let SWOwner know. He has a sticky thread at the top of this Percussion forum where he is reocrding as many military, lettered 1860s as he can find.
Thanks for the suggestion. I posted this find yesterday. SMILE

·
Registered
85 Posts
The seller had no reason to suggest this was not a military Colt - perhaps the seller looked at the Colt reference book written by He Who Must Not be Named which says that the US contract Colt 1860s had a US stamped under the COLTS PATENT on the side of the frame - such a US stamp applies to the Colt 1851 Navies, but NO COLT MODEL 1860s WERE STAMPED US ON THE FRAME! NONE. EVER.
In any event, even without the letter, this is clearly a nicely marked and inspected military contract 1860, accepted by the US.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts