Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, learned members.
I just got a nice little .25acp Colt Model of 1908.
Serial number says it's 1923 manufacture.
Can someone tell me how to field-strip this gun?
My Browning .25 was pretty simple...Lock the slide, twist the barrel, remove slide, remove firing pin assembly and spring, and that was it.
This thing appears very similar, but the barrel doesn't twist.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!
Don

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
It should be the same as your Browning.

I'm kind of goofy but I like using the .25 in the little Colt 1908. I even torture myself by handloading for it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
My Model 1908 is serial numbered 3152XX so it may be close kin to yours.

Perhaps your pistol is crudded up inside from 80 years of neglect and would appreciate a little soak in Hoppe's.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, bmcgilvray...I'll crank a bit harder on that barrel.
Mine is # 332606.
Don

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wait one. Do NOT lock the slide back.
Insert magazine and pull the trigger to de-cock the striker. Remove magazine. Draw slide back until its front edge is about 1/16 inch from the front edge of the frame. Twist barrel 1/4 turn to the right. Pull slide forward off frame. Turn barrel 1/4 turn to the left and drop it out of the frame from the rear.
These are cute little pieces. Mine was made in 1919, IIRC.
JT

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JT,
Thanks for the tip...I've been going crazy trying to turn this thing into a Baby Browning! LOL!
Back to the loading bench for another try, and I'll let you know how it goes!
Don

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the things I really like about this forum is the number of helpful, knowledgeable members who will lend a hand when needed.
My M-1908 .25acp is now back together after a complete takedown and cleaning, and SOOO smooth and just great, especially for its age!
Don

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Great!
Mine drove me nuts for a while getting the slide in just the right spot to rotate the barrel. Some previous owner apparently felt it needed a pipe wrench. I polished off all the worse marks and now it shoots great.Love this little thing, mine was made in 1912 and has a set of fake pearle grips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts