Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming soon, USGI M1 Carbines from MidwayUSA possibly via the Italian Carabinieri:

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I signed up to be notified when they become available. I'm not all that big on rifles, but yes, these are of historical interest to anyone who's interested in WWII. I'm wondering about pricing, of course. I guess that will depend on multiple factors...condition, manufacturer, number of guns available, etc., etc.

Not sure if the photo of rifles in cartons is of the M1s, but if so, that's a lot of rifles. I predict demand will be very high.

Doesn't hurt to sign up and take a look.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
From the limited views of the Carbines it appears that they are essentially original configuration with the exception of the rear sight. Must have been left in Europe after WWII.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I see lots of rifles. But I don't see any magazines. I wonder if the original magazines will be available? Or could there have been some sort of restrictions in place regarding shipping of magazines?

If Midway is going to use the NRA ratings standard for grading the rifles, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a ballpark figure as to what they might sell for. Might be similar to the price ranges the CMP offered buyers for the 1911A1s. I'll hazard a guess that import marks and lack of a magazine might decrease their value to a lot of potential buyers or among the really serious collectors. And depending on when the rifles will be sold, the present/future scarcity of ammo might even figure into it. Lot of "mights" going on right now.

It's always fun to speculate, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
From the limited views of the Carbines it appears that they are essentially original configuration with the exception of the rear sight. Must have been left in Europe after WWII.
That's what Midway's write-up says:

"Per our supplier, these guns are believed to have come directly from use in the European theatre of WWII. They are still ‘as assembled’ during the rapid mass production of WWII. There are variations among these guns, including sights, safeties, gas blocks etc. Variations were common during the years these guns were manufactured. Small parts may have been replaced during the war due to normal field use and maintenance."

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
My dad bought 2 in the 70s, one a paratrooper model. We used to buy surplus ammo by the crate, and use them for plinking. You could find tracers too, at any gun show, and those were fun at night. In the intervening years I've heard .30 Carbine has gotten hard to get, but haven't looked. They were fun plinking rifles back in the day, and we liked their history.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I'm interested in one of these from Midway. Depends on the condition and pricing though. They are all import marked, so they SHOULD be more affordable. Plus Midway USA is 15 minutes from my house. :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Woulda shoula coulda done it before they became spendy/scarce in these parts.
Now, another chance to do what I shoulda done a century ago.......
And I don't need a correct museum piece. A beater in decent mechanical shape with a good enough bore will be just fine.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
From what I have heard over the years, they didn't come back from WW2. A lot of them were unofficially given to Italy shortly after the war ended. Then, most of the rest of them were ones that we still had there from units stationed in Italy post war. Most of the M1 Carbines from the MAP were already over there in Italy and had been there since the war..

Reactions: ei8ht
1 - 20 of 195 Posts