Colt Forum banner

161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I had two bought. But their checkout system wouldn't let me upload my C&R. Tried everything. Called their help line and was walked through what to do, which was to "select an FFL later". Then I followed up to try and send them my C&R, to which another customer service person told me that they don't take C&R's emailed. No way around it they said. Really rude people. Told me I'd have to go through an FFL. I said F this and had them cancel the order. It seemed rich enough, and for having a group of people think they are too big to let their FFL team accept a simple email is ridiculous. Won't deal with them again.
"they don't take C&R's emailed"??

Everyone else seems to. Yeah, I am not impressed either.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had two bought. But their checkout system wouldn't let me upload my C&R. Tried everything. Called their help line and was walked through what to do, which was to "select an FFL later". Then I followed up to try and send them my C&R, to which another customer service person told me that they don't take C&R's emailed. No way around it they said. Really rude people. Told me I'd have to go through an FFL. I said F this and had them cancel the order. It seemed rich enough, and for having a group of people think they are too big to let their FFL team accept a simple email is ridiculous. Won't deal with them again.
That is interesting, when I was checking out, I got hung up on my name but once I got through that it went through each step and when I got to the upload FFL/C&R I simply dragged and dropped a JPG of my C&R and it uploaded it automatically and accepted it. But then when I went to do the final click to purchase it said they were all gone (Rockola). I went back to QH and the Fines were gone but clicked on the VG-F and when I clicked on it, it automatically had remembered everything and went right to final click and I was able to get it.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
They've sold out?! Well now, don't that just beat all. What a surprise. I know I had to be one of the first to sign up for Midway's e-mail notifications for updates about the carbines, which I'd hope would've included info about when you could actually buy one.

I never heard diddly-squat from Midway. Not a peep. I mean, I even have an account with them, have had for years. Did I mention I never heard a word from 'em?

Aside from hearing nothing from Midway, I've now been receiving all sorts of unsolicited e-mails from gun-related sites I've never even heard of, which leads me to think Midway may have sold my e-mail to other advertisers. Not for me to say if they did or didn't, but it sure is a nasty coincidence. But they all go into the trash, unopened, so it's not that big a deal. It's a simple process, like swatting flies.

I think Potterfield vastly underestimated the interest and demand for the carbines, and his system simply wasn't prepared to handle the avalanche that everyone else could see coming. I'll note that I'm saying that to give Midway the benefit of a doubt, but I view this as a failure on their part. Of course, they've already deposited those failures into the bank account, but still...I think this could've been done better. I'll say that I think it's harsh and unfair to call this a scam. And overpriced? Can't say that, either. It's the market, y'all. Supply and demand coupled with an extremely high collector interest can leave a bad taste in the mouth of ordinary guys like me. And I guess that's enough about that from me.

Well, I just read this whole thread and see that some of our forum members got one. Congratulations to them all, seriously, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's looking forward to seeing photos and range reports. Also comments on overall condition will be most welcome.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Over priced and a scam
That is they way I feel about houses and new and even used cars, they are overpriced so I am still driving my 1998 Lexus and 2006 Jeep until the prices come down

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your comments on the emails are interesting. I haven't gotten any spam related to signing up with Midway. I had signed up right away. On Monday at 4:00 pm I received an email notification that the sale started the next day at 8 CST adn then one on Tuesday at 8 am CST that the sale was starting

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Then I followed up to try and send them my C&R, to which another customer service person told me that they don't take C&R's emailed. No way around it they said. Really rude people. Told me I'd have to go through an FFL.
Andy, bring your C&R to the Colt Collectors Association Convention in September and I'll have some early feature carbines available for your perusal.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I wonder if the great demand for those carbines was due to a perception that they would not be considered "assault rifles" if the current administration is able to pass and enforce highly restrictive gun laws in the next year or so.

They are what I consider to be "shooter grade" and worth $300-$400 each in a normal market but as we know, an abnormal market can easily and quickly triple or quadruple the cost or perceived value of just about any product. Sometimes the market recovers, sometimes the prices become the new normal.

I own a Rock-Ola M1 Carbine that I bought about 35 years ago but don't own any type of AR. But I am considering buying an older Ruger Mini-14 that I can get for a reasonable price just because having a .223 rifle might not be a bad idea and the Ruger Mini-14 doesn't have all those evil features. I would have never considered a Mini-14 in the past after reading many reports that most are only capable of about 3 or 4 MOA groups, but times are very different now.

We can pray that the SCOTUS makes a ruling about guns that is logical, but we also know that it is the administration's goal to pack the court with activist judges who will rule the Constitution means whatever they say it does regardless of original intent or past legal precedence.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not sure how many they had to sell.
I got up late Tuesday morning...saw the email from
Midway.
Clicked it...filled in the blanks.

Received emails near immediately confirming the order.
Within an hour I received info the M1 has shipped with tracking number.
Shows to be delivered tomorrow the 10th.

Based on the time frame it appears I got one of the last.
Sooooo.......Guess we will see.
I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
132 Posts
xfuzz - did you have a C&R already on file with them or did you use an FFL? For me I uploaded my C&R no issues but it took them until evening to say it has be confirmed, then later in the evening I got my "it's shipped" notice.

Walter - then the "up" market has to have been going on for a while as when I got my Winchester from CMP in 2009 it was $650. I haven't see carbines of that shape since around the year 2000, but it may be just Massachusetts

·
Registered
320 Posts
xfuzz - did you have a C&R already on file with them or did you use an FFL? For me I uploaded my C&R no issues but it took them until evening to say it has be confirmed, then later in the evening I got my "it's shipped" notice.

Walter - then the "up" market has to have been going on for a while as when I got my Winchester from CMP in 2009 it was $650. I haven't see carbines of that shape since around the year 2000, but it may be just Massachusetts
No C&R on file....
Just followed the links and filled in the blanks.
When the FFL info was requested I put in my zip
and my FFL popped up.
Made the payment.....

Hard to imagine a gun bought Tuesday at 11am will be delivered within 2 days.
Saw on another forum that a member there bought one and he received the same
delivery date...the 10th.

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
But I am considering buying an older Ruger Mini-14 that I can get for a reasonable price just because having a .223 rifle might not be a bad idea and the Ruger Mini-14 doesn't have all those evil features. I would have never considered a Mini-14 in the past after reading many reports that most are only capable of about 3 or 4 MOA groups, but times are very different now.
Look for a Mini-14 with a serial number prefix of 580- or higher. Prior to that the accuracy was not that great..."minute of coyote" was the description. The issue was barrel harmonics and Ruger eventually fixed it in the early 2000s at the 580- serial number prefix.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts