Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a question about M16 rifles' operation in water.
Yesterday, I was told, that the M16(A2) jams after put into water. I didn't know whether it true of not, so I thought, I'll seek professional help.
Anykind of help would be apprechiated,

thanks in advance,

Max

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you provide more details please? The question is kind of vague...do you mean while in the water...immediately after removing from immersion, etc...
thank,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, sorry, i forgot.
I mean when the rifle is under water and you'd like to fire one or more shots. Is it possible?

Max

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! This was all I wanted.
BTW, another thing, what you've said is true to most of the weapons, like AK's, right?

Max

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
While there are reports that rifles have been successfully fired under water, the only guns that are provably fire-able under water are many pistols.
There are ample cases of revolvers and automatics like the 1911 Colt and the Glock that have been fired without damage.
The "secret" is, all the air MUST be out of the bore, and it must be completely flooded with water.
Any air bubble left in the bore will cause either a bulged or ruptured barrel and other damage to the gun.

Where things get "iffy, is in more powerful firearms like .357 Magnums, and especially rifles that operate at higher pressures.

A rifle barrel is MUCH longer which means that there's a considerable amount of water that has to be pushed out the barrel in front of the bullet.
Another factor is the much more powerful, higher velocity of rifle bullets.

Since water cannot be compressed, too much water in a high velocity firearm means that the water simply can't be forced out of the way fast enough.
Since the extreme pressure HAS to go somewhere, the action will blow, or the barrel will bulge or rupture.

What this means is, that a rifle "probably" will blow up or at least be seriously damaged by the extreme pressures caused by a high velocity bullet being unable to push the column of water out the bore fast enough.
This would raise pressure sky high, very possible causing the rifle to explode or cause the barrel to either bulge or rupture.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I recall seeing an episode of "Mythbusters" where they were firing weapons submerged to test penetration distances.
They used a .357, 9mm, 12 Ga. & an M1 Garand.
According to them no weapon sustained any damage upon post inspection.
They were careful to make sure no "air" was left in any of the weapons prior to firing.
Personally, I would have liked to inspect them myself for any signs of damage.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah but when Mythbusters fired the 12g shotgun it blew bigger than poop! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts