Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered a M1873 copy, supposedly from around 1880 and from Mexico. The only marking on it is "32 calibre winchester" and "1873", there is no serial number. The gun is plated, but not so nice looking anymore.
I'm having problem finding any information about it on Internet.

Is this something worth having, and how much could it be worth?

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
What is the asking price?

The copies are an interesting footnote in SAA history. That one looks like an out of proportion SAA with a Remington grip frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the asking price?

The copies are an interesting footnote in SAA history. That one looks like an out of proportion SAA with a Remington grip frame.
I live in Norway, so the prices here might be a lot higher that in the US. The seller is asking approximately $500. He have never shot it, but says it looks mechanical OK.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Looking at the backstrap/frame joint looks like that gun may have been a Bisley copy. The gun looks pretty rough, certainly wouldn't bring $500 in US.

What do you plan on doing with it? Doesn't have much collector value, likely not too good a shooter, either.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plan is to shoot it, but maybe that's not a good idea.
I am just looking for a pre 1890 revolver to buy, since they need no registration in Norway. But since prices are kind of high here, I wonder if I shall import from the US instead.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I thought it was only illegal to remove a serial number from a gun that had one prior to '68? If the gun originally did not have a serial it would not be deemed illegal if it was from before that time, would it?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I was misinformed,my apologies. It is illegal to alter/deface an existing serial #. No requirement for a serial # before the 1968 GunControl Act. It may cause some consternation for a transfer,but not illegal.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Saw a Mex/Spanish. copy of SAA at last show a couple weeks ago. Priced at $200 with a Mex holster. It did not sell.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Based on the 2 of these mexican "colts" I've had opportunity to look @ they are only good for wall hangers,I'd be afraid to shoot one of them w/blk powder much less smokeless,if u think it looks crude from the outside u should see what it looks like on the inside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for good answers. I will not buy the gun. Can you point me to a good place to buy antique guns, who also ships international? Or maybe someone here has a nice gun for me. I've just started collecting antique weapons.

·
Registered
562 Posts
"Gun broker" or "Auction arms" antique listings. I have no idea what the import laws are like in Norway, but in the U.S. anything made in the time period you are looking for (pre 1890) would have few legal restrictions to buy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Gun broker" or "Auction arms" antique listings. I have no idea what the import laws are like in Norway, but in the U.S. anything made in the time period you are looking for (pre 1890) would have few legal restrictions to buy.
Here in Norway you can freely and without any papers import all black powder guns made before 1890.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The lack of a serial number surely would concern me greatly with any purchase, however, as he lives in Norway, our own NFA wont really come into it, but the Norwegian laws would.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts