Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt M1911 A1 and would appreciate any information about it. I would put it at 95% condition with the parkerization at the high point on the muzzle and slide slightly worn, holster kept. Funtion is perfect. Internal parts excellent. This gun has the dancing colt in the middle of the patent information and company name and address, left side of slide. On the right side of the slide is M1911 A1 U.S.ARMY. On the left side of the frame at the top front of the trigger guard is a K with a yield sign shaped mark with a P in it under that. A letter P is below and to the right of the mag release. The initials W.B. are at the top left corner of the grip panel on the frame.

On the right side of the frame is United States Property with the serial number 825XXX under that. M1911A1 U.S.Army
is to the right of the part of the slide release on that side.

On the top of the slide release is a letter P between ejection port and rear sight.

Any insight as to Manufacture date, real value, etc. will be much appreciated.

This gun saw action in the South Pacific carried by a Navy Captain with the seabees building runways. At least this is what the owner told me. It was his grandfathers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It is made by Colt. Early WW2. WB are inspector's intials. Value around 1000$, depending on condition and correct parts. A real expert will be able to tell you more. I wanted to get my post count up. Wish I had one.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Bryant of Fairview. Looks like your 1911A1 was manufactured about 1943 and by your description worth at least $1,400. Sounds like a winner... P.S. I picked up a couple of nice guns myself when I lived in Fairview....There was nothing else going on....Henri

·
Registered
72 Posts
The VP stamp is, I believe, the Colt Verified Proof.
The WB is the acceptance stamp of Waldemar Broberg, ordnance inspector for Hartford (Springfield) District until mid 1942.
Original and correct 95% Colt M1911A1s are fetching close to $2000 these days, which is why I bought an Ithaca. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Sounds like you own a very nice piece of history.
JT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts