Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WIN_20171231_15_41_00_Pro.jpg I have read past posts on shooting the M1917 and find my results different than those I read. Do to my aging eyes and poor indoor range lighting, I mainly shoot at 10 yards. I find that my 1917 shoots slightly below point of aim with 230 grain bullets. With 255 grain SWC at this distance it hits just above the front sight. This is a swc out of an auto rim case with 7.8 grains of Unique powder and CCI primers.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Good shooting. My Model 1917 Colt also shoots a little low with 230 grain bullets. Long since figured it out since the M1917 has reigned supreme as the most fired Colt revolver here.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Unless you are in target competitions, I would say that's pretty good shootin'. Don't think you'd have a problem hitting center mass with that thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, you're correct, that was 5.8 not 7.8 not sure how that happens. As always check manuals for load data or question as was done here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I said it shoots different, was from reading past comments that stated the 250 or 255 would shoot six inches high. Mine shoots right above the front sight witch I prefer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to those who complement my shooting. I haven't shot competition since my bifocals. Now getting a caterac in my shooting eye. Getting old doesn't improve your shooting that's for sure.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good shooting. My Model 1917 Colt also shoots a little low with 230 grain bullets. Long since figured it out since the M1917 has reigned supreme as the most fired Colt revolver here.
I finally got to the range with my 1917 that I recently purchased. I thought it was 100% original until I noticed that the front sight had been modified to a "half moon" shape thereby lowering the height of the sight. I shot Win. 230 grain ball ammo (1987) and the group was 2 1/2" below point of aim at 50 ft. As in the comments above is this common with 1917s?
(I thought someone changed the front sight so it would pull out of a holster easier.)
Mike

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Thanks to those who complement my shooting. I haven't shot competition since my bifocals. Now getting a caterac in my shooting eye. Getting old doesn't improve your shooting that's for sure.
That's for sure. I have a retina detachment in my left eye, I'm left handed and left eye dominate. Getting old sucks PERIOD!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike, my lower picture was 230 grain, as you can see it isn't that low. When I said 230 shoots below point of aim I mentioned hold the top of the front sight on the top of the bullseye and it would hit center at 10 yards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts