1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a nice (1993) M1991A1

You all know the drill-
Plastic mainspring housing
Plastic HEAVY trigger
Plastic mag catch lock
etc...etc...

All that is fine & its otherwise a very nice, well put together, slick "shooter" which is what I was expecting & what I received.

Since this is strictly a play-toy and certainly NOT a collector I'd like to fool around with it a bit, mostly to just learn.

Biggest fault is the horrible 100,000 lb. excuse for a trigger. Maybe I'm just spoiled. :cool:

Anyway.....ideas on how to improve the trigger?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own an OM M1991A1 as well. I would suggest that if the pistol has not been fired much, put a few hundred rounds through it before having any work done. My own pistol has a pretty decent trigger and I have done nothing to it other than add a Colt short steel trigger from a series 70 pistol and a Colt nylon arched mainspring housing.

If it still is not to your liking after some shooting, it would take it to a good gunsmith and have him lightly polish up the lock work. The standard Colt parts are quite good so I would not replace them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can get a drop-in fire control set (hammer , trigger , sear , disconnector , spring) from Wilson's , EGW , Fusion , or other top notch 1911 parts maker for around $100 with all the good parts that will give you a very nice trigger pull.
I put a complete fire control set from Cylinder and Slide into one of my Colt 1911's and it made a world of difference.
It's still working perfectly after about 2000 rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice Score Sparebux...

Give it a chance...then slowly but surely replace all that plastic.

A work in progress, so to speak...

:rolleyes:

The plastic trigger is in the parts bin as we speak! :cool:

Need a good looking METAL mainspring assembly.

Geez, I'm having fun already

1 - 7 of 7 Posts