Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Cases were $175 I think. I sent a letter off to get some history on the gun and found out it belong to the unit that I got the patch for on eBay and put it in the case for a nice memorial. Paid $1200 for my serial 413

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the FOIA letter the original owner requested and received. Pretty interesting. I assume anybody can request one and all contact info is contained in thletter.
I just noticed it came out of Redstone Arsenal in Alabama. Thats where I was stationed. Great place.
I can Email or text it upon request.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Here is the FOIA letter the original owner requested and received. Pretty interesting. I assume anybody can request one and all contact info is contained in thletter.
I just noticed it came out of Redstone Arsenal in Alabama. Thats where I was stationed. Great place.
I can Email or text it upon request.
View attachment 700468
Yes anyone can request info on a military firearm. Great especially with 1911s and decommissioned pistols. Include a letter with your info and serial number mAke and model of gun. Free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nice guns all.

However, I was struck by this statement in the printed placard contained within the SIG case: "The P320 based M17 is only the third firearm to be selected as the official duty sidearm in the history of the U.S. Army...." I presume that the first and second firearms obliquely referred to are the Colt M1911 and the Beretta M9.

I suppose one could debate the meaning of the phrase "official duty sidearm", but without trying to split hairs here wouldn't we say that the Colt Model 1873 SAA, the Colt Model 1892 DA .38 LC (and similar .38s designated Model 1894, Model 1901, and Model 1903), the Model of 1909 and Model of 1917 revolvers were all US Army "official duty sidearms"?

I think the SIG marketing guy who wrote that statement is guilty of either 'irrational exuberance' or having a lack of understanding of the relevant history as it pertains to US Army handguns.

Regards,
Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
For any of you on FB, we have a group where we are collecting a HUGE amount of info on this release similar to what we did on the M45A1 Decomms. Please join! Decommissioned Surplus Sig M17 Owners Association

I'm up to 4 M17's. I have a consecutive pair (220/221), and a Small frame version, with a Large frame version on the way. All I'm missing is one with a Data Matrix Label.

Here is TF000220, evidently not issued because it is LNIB. Also, TF000221 which was issued to 3rd Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Squadron, E Company

The latest Small Frame with some rack marks. Issued to 101st Airborne, 75th Cav Regiment, Troop C Dismounted

The magazines appeared to be just random pulls and not necessarily associated with the guns.

I need to take a group shot, but I'll wait until my Large frame version shows up.

I have surprisingly few shots of my current M45A1 Decomms... will have to correct that soon. Here is my only shot of my issued gun, which was issued to Fox Company:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice guns all.

However, I was struck by this statement in the printed placard contained within the SIG case: "The P320 based M17 is only the third firearm to be selected as the official duty sidearm in the history of the U.S. Army...." I presume that the first and second firearms obliquely referred to are the Colt M1911 and the Beretta M9.

I suppose one could debate the meaning of the phrase "official duty sidearm", but without trying to split hairs here wouldn't we say that the Colt Model 1873 SAA, the Colt Model 1892 DA .38 LC (and similar .38s designated Model 1894, Model 1901, and Model 1903), the Model of 1909 and Model of 1917 revolvers were all US Army "official duty sidearms"?

I think the SIG marketing guy who wrote that statement is guilty of either 'irrational exuberance' or having a lack of understanding of the relevant history as it pertains to US Army handguns.

Regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
67 Posts
How were you able to get possession of these decommissioned U.S. Military pistols? Would love to get one...or two.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts