Colt Forum banner

M45A1 variations

6K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  BusaDave 
#1 ·
I’d like to see what you have.

I was lucky enough to get away from a Harry Potter movie tonight. My 8yr old son decided to get on his PlayStation half way through the movie. So I decided to spend a little time organizing some guns.
As I was moving some of these around, I thought to ask members of the forum to post different variations you have.
I think I want to hunt down another variation.

See less See more
#27 ·
Here is one you will never see. Passed up a lot of money on this one and got Beverly at Colt to send me a letter on it. Had no idea it would be this valuable but people pay stupid money for these.
View attachment 711035
Yours will always be special, BusaDave, but Colt liked your idea so much they are currently making a similar variation.

Full Custom Shop model in Pelican case. A couple of notable items on this one... Colt has moved away from Trijicon and are now using "Night Fision" sights. Some of the Otis cleaning kits are being seen without the serpent "Colt" logo printed on them. And the model number for these is showing up a "O1070RGZ", which if you guys remember is the same model number used for the much nicer nitrided black version Colt put out a few years ago.

#5 ·
Sweet shot Biff , you along with Ben always inspire me .

Dave’s is a rare bird , for sure probably the rarest !

Octopus is to these “Marine “ pistols as our forum Boa collector was/is.

I envy and am happy , for all your dedication and available funds from forum members.

I am biased , but the one to find is the CSRG . This is COLTS finest offering , ever .
100-130 built , mine is #2 by Matt , grips supplied by Tim.

To each their own , but I think the solid black is the best looking ..

Attachments

#8 ·
I've got a different take on things; but then I've always been opinionated!

I see it as the CQB that the Marines contracted for; first the Cerakoate finish then the Ion Bond version, marked USMC; the few that Colt sold commercially with the USMC Roll stamp; the the Custom Shop and the regular production run of the Ion Bond (not sure if there were Cerakoated ones sold commercially) guns marked "M45A1". The others are just railed guns based on the CQB Pistol.

Like I said - just my opinion; it isn't meant to insult anyone. Its like when I drank; there were those who would argue the glass was half full, others would say its half empty; me I wouldn't argue either point; I'd look at my glass, declare it was time for another drink and order it!:ROFLMAO:

#9 ·
I've got a different take on things; but then I've always been opinionated!

I see it as the CQB that the Marines contracted for; first the Cerakoate finish then the Ion Bond version, marked USMC; the few that Colt sold commercially with the USMC Roll stamp; the the Custom Shop and the regular production run of the Ion Bond (not sure if there were Cerakoated ones sold commercially) guns marked "M45A1". The others are just railed guns based on the CQB Pistol.

Like I said - just my opinion; it isn't meant to insult anyone. Its like when I drank; there were those who would argue the glass was half full, others would say its half empty; me I wouldn't argue either point; I'd look at my glass, declare it was time for another drink and order it!
:) Limited to detail here but there were no "USMC" Ion Bond finished slides sold outside of the Prime Contract at the direction of the customer in fact, this was stopped before the original Prime Contract (spray and bake) was fulfilled.

#10 ·
I agree with Dave.. all of the USMC rollmarked cqb’s were cerakote finished that went to the public , and the rollmark was changed before the finish was changed to IonBond.
also, I believe any gun designated as a “CQB” model, both Military and civilian , have a rail that is of different dimensions that the standard rail found in other Colt railed models.
I might need some clarification, but i think that’s correct.
its been long enough now that I’m forgetting the CQB facts as I haven’t reviewed details in a long while.

#13 · (Edited)
I agree with Dave.. all of the USMC rollmarked cqb’s were cerakote finished that went to the public , and the rollmark was changed before the finish was changed to IonBond.
also, I believe any gun designated as a “CQB” model, both Military and civilian , have a rail that is of different dimensions that the standard rail found in other Colt railed models.
I might need some clarification, but i think that’s correct.
its been long enough now that I’m forgetting the CQB facts as I haven’t reviewed details in a long while.
Yes the frame on this model are also dimensionally different as a result of the qualification testing that went on prior to the 1st delivery under the Prime Contract to the Customer.

#12 ·
I am old school enough from my days in the Marines using 1911's before the switch to the Beratta. When I learned Colt was offering the M45A1 I had to have one. What a wonderful shooting tool it was.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: somd_mustangs
#15 ·
Thanks to everybody for the replies.

Can you guys tell me more about the pics you posted of the stainless, dual tone, and tan with the pelican case?
Boxes? Labels? Letters? Production numbers? Today's approximate value?

I cannot find any of these for sale.

BusaDave.....is your stainless finish a request to Colt?

All of these are something id like to own.

Thanks guys.

#17 ·
Frame cracked, hence milspec mass increase .
Id say 50% versions of this frame were made either floor model , or Custom Shop .
That’s including the USMC marked - which have been at like 4K for five years.
The floor versions get great reviews , and the CS models run like 3-5 more.
I think it’s an earned markup, easily . I overpaid for mine at 2.5 K in 2014 I think .
These are all referred to as Marine frame at the plant .

My tan cerakote is Custom Shop green pelican case w/ test target .
Purchased tan pelican so Surefire would fit .

Your tan would look good on my counter , maybe on a stand from BuickGSman .

#18 ·
Your tan would look good on my counter , maybe on a stand from BuickGSman .
It’s possible that one day I might give up a firearm or two to a member like you on here. I can’t do it now though.
Right now, letting one go would eat at me every day. It would disrupt my everyday life. I’ve never sold a gun but I traded a few once and I think about those guns a lot. It was a great deal for me but I should’ve just bought the gun.

#19 ·
I see you already have the O0170CQB-Z. The O0170CQB-B could be a good addition to your collection. Two tone stocks and front strap checkering. I think the all black pistols are the best looking CQBP's. I'm not sure if they're going to make anymore of them. Mine has a 12/18 test target and there is one on GB with a 2020 test target. It doesn't have the lanyard loop for some reason which is weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.