Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member longtime Colt owner,
I purchased a 3rd gen sheriff's model that had 'never been fired' - which looked to be in good condition until I borescopes it. I am very concerned about some rough marks that I am not sure are actually machining marks, but am afraid they might make the gun unsafe to shoot or indicate misuse (other cylinder marks suggested mishandling but the gun otherwise did look unfired).
You can see that even with the naked eye (pic from outside the gun at the chamber/cylinder end- the light picks up the blemish) the marks are visible (and go all around the barrel) from the cylinder end. With the borescope (other two images) the marks are very prominent (and only occur around the barrel in this same location).
I was concerned enough not to take possession of the gun (it is at my FFL).
Normal for 2008 manufacture? Sign of a problem? Cancel the sale?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,815 Posts
I am no machinist but those look like 'chatter' marks from the machining operation. I would not think they would make the gun unsafe to shoot. Sometimes a piece of the machining debris will get caught in the cutter during the machining operation. That can cause an ugly cutting pattern.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Because the marks don't continue across the barrel lands, I would think the marks had to have been done when the barrel was made. I don't know if Colt made those barrels via hammer forging or by cutting the rifling. If there was an issue with the insert used when hammer forging that could account for the marks in the grooves. I think I would ask Colt and send the pictures for their analysis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thavks for the replies- the marks just seem excessive and are far beyond what have seen in my other revolvers (including another SAA)- since the gun was otherwise not-as-described (had numerous drag lines) I wanted to make sure the gun is not problematic. It’ll be a shooter (all my guns are), but to me this looked like defective barrel machining.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Lots of 3rd gen Sheriff's models out there, so unless you got it at a killer price, return it and look for one that you won't question. If you did get it at a killer price, keep it, shoot it, and live with the machine marks that won't have any impact on function.

Best regards,

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi There,

I am not sure how Colt made their barrels. Most likely, they are
button rifled. The nature of doing button rifling involves a lot of
abrasion. If they pull the button back though the barrel blank
(and some debris along with it), it can create some scuffing along
the way.

Unfortunately, the pics of the screen are not clear enough for me to
discern any great detail. Is it possible for you to make a Jpeg of the
bore images using software? It would help a lot.

From what I can see, the first pic looks like improper cleaning practice
was used. The second pic is more typical of debris scuffing. None of
what I can see would make the firearm unsafe to shoot.

I reserve the right to change my mind if and when better pics are posted.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.