Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back today and checked it out again, liked what I saw and made a deal.
SN 340xxx, tag said about 1920. So what do you think of my new baby.
Deal maker was this full box of ammo, anyone guess the age, not sure but I"m thinking 60's

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I like it, I like it!
Congratulations, Please give us a range report when you get it to the range.
I've always thought the .38WCF was a nice ctg. though I've never owned one.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Few more close ups.
Although I didn't plan on shooting any rounds from the box of ammo shown, I went through each round and wiped them down. My surprise to find 4 rounds of 44's. Glad I checked

·
Registered
813 Posts
I like it too. It's got just the right amount of patina to look like a honest working revolver. Does the cylinder pin go in all the way? Are you going to letter it? I think the ammo is a little earlier.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pin does go all the way in, just was not pushed in all the way after I cleaned and oiled it.
I think I will letter it just for the history and something to go along with the gun when my grandkids get it.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
A well used Colt SAA. What more could a man ask for. It's a great gun and probably could tell a few good stories. Congratulations.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Ammo:
1946-1960​
1: BOXES TYPE:​
1 PIECE WITH END FLAPS, THUMB CUTS AND SLIDE OUT TRAY
2: BOX COLORS:​
GREEN AND RED. “KLEANBORE” WITH “REMINGTON” IN A REDCIRCLE & “DuPONT” IN AN OVAL
3: LOAD INDEX NUMBERS:​
VERTICAL ON LOWER RIGHT CORNERSTYLE “XXXX”. EXAMPLES: 5138 or 6645FIRST TWO NUMBERS ARE THE LOAD TYPELAST TWO NUMBERS ARE THE CALIBER
4: COMPANY NAME:​
REMINGTON ARMS CO., Inc.​
BRIDGEPORT, CONN.

Source: International Ammunition Association. THanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This Colt is really appealing to me. 93+ - years old, seen use but well taken care of. They really were careful not to bugger the screw heads. I think of the different owners that saw it pass through their care over the generations. Put it into a nice vintage mexican loop holster... classic. The box of ammo brings back memories as I bet also to others of our generation (baby boomers) I remember well buying ammo in the local owed hardware store in this box and might still have it around. It was early 60s.(box could have been earlier..one of those stores that had new old stock.) Neat thread. Thanks for showing your new baby.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Neat gun.

I don't want to sound negative, but I believe the hammer has been replaced at some point. Is so, that just adds to the history of the gun IMO.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Looks like a good honest gun. Glad you got it. I have two family .38-40s, a SAA & a Bisley - each with its own history.

·
Registered
382 Posts
weagle99,
What is it about the hammer that are you seeing? Wrong style, or the finish? Hard for me to tell from the photos.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
weagle99,
What is it about the hammer that are you seeing? Wrong style, or the finish? Hard for me to tell from the photos.
The curve at the bottom - back of the hammer does not match the gripframe ears correctly. I have never seen an original 1st Gen Colt that did not exhibit an excellent match in this area.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Thats a good gun. I have a Bisley in about this condition in .38-40 that I used to shoot a lot in cowboy action matches. It's a great round.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
jbmi

I had to come back for another look.
When you get a chance, I'll bet a lot of us would like a range report.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts