Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try to be kind, this is my first one. I had bought a store made one but it was a cheap imitation and didn't have the "(CS)" stamp on it. I am in a Sons of Confederate Veterans organization and have been working on a CSA Uniform that my 2nd Great grandfather wore in his 4th Alabama Cav unit. It's a work in progress. The SoCV Camp has annual events in a historical location here and it's fun to see. They cook camp food, shoot the cannon, talk history to the public.
Brown Wood Auto part Wallet Metal
Footwear Jeans Sleeve Knee Wood
Hand Shoe Sleeve Gesture Denim
Sleeve Knee Thigh Wrist Foot

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
rednichols:

When you have a saddle stitching machine as you used on this holster, you're no amateur :). Maybe 'first one' of this style, eh?
You got this right! It wasn't my first holster but my first holster of this era and style. Of course it might have been better, but it will do for now.

The stitching machine has been worth every dollar.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great. I am also a member of the local SCV camp, although I’m not active in it. Really like the holster.
It's a trip trying to put a Confederate uniform together and getting the leather gear up to speed. I'm not all into the big get togethers but do want to be part of the local events.

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice work! How did you do the "CS" stamp? Made a die?

I got my "CS" and "US" stamps from a company called Bunkhouse Tools. I got many different stamps and plastic replica pistols and revolvers to wet mold my holsters. I have made my own steel die before for my "Texas Star State" emblem but that is a one of since it wasn't commercially availible. That website is a bit slow and clunky but they have a great assortment of leather embosing stamps.

https://www.shop.bunkhousetools.com/

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You don't need to rely on specialty sites to get your stamps; the brass stamps sold on eBay from China are computer machined and can be had any way you want 'em. .... Communication from these sellers is so good that there will never be an error on their end.

Funny you mentioned that. Once upon a time I invented some items and had the aerospace companies looking for work and they produced my items for a cost and one year later increased that cost 100%. My customers wouldn't like that passed on to them. So I had a China manufacturing rep who quoted me a price of next to nothing. My kids could go to college now with the savings I made. The first thing they asked me what was the level of a "Hammer test" I wanted. When my specifications for the part was made by me and the type of welds I wanted, I never knew of such a specification. But they needed to know how much it would take a worker to destroy the welds with a hammer and chisle. They did such beautiful welding and assembly. Of course later I decided to retire and was bought out by a larger worldwide company.

Reactions: OD*
1 - 5 of 5 Posts