Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

have a Service Model ACE S/N SM14260 which I bought fairly cheap with one mag, no box, no paperwork.

A gunsmith put in a longer trigger and a pair of stocks. Of course the original parts are still here. Also have spare firing pin, extractor and two extra #2 slide stops, just in case ...

Now and then I use the pistol on the range. It works reliable, but isn't very precise (compared to Woodsman, or S&W 41 or K22 or 17).

What I'm missing are some more magazines. Most the stuff I tried here didn't fit or didn't work.

Which aftermarket magazine works in your experience?

Thnx

DSCI1151.jpg DSCI1150.jpg

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Go to eBay and see what's listed. I'd buy one similar to the one you have. The later style are okay too but;
The aftermarket ones are iffy and the more recent Colt/Metalform ones don't work. The off brand conversion unit makers stopped using them.

FWIW: The GSG M1911-22 magazine seems to work

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Hi,

have a Service Model ACE S/N SM14260 which I bought fairly cheap with one mag, no box, no paperwork

What I'm missing are some more magazines. Most the stuff I tried here didn't fit or didn't work.

Which aftermarket magazine works in your experience?

Thnx
BSE1911,

If you cannot find reliable aftermarket,---all steel Colt SM Ace mags should work.

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
BSE1911, I want to pass some information on to you about your "ACE".
I very much like those things, and the .22 conversions as well. Some day, I will maybe have one !

It is a simple thing, but I want to make sure my post does NOT come across as "know-it-all", and in a condescending manner.

It has to do with the names of your list of "spare parts"....Very commendable to have; but, there is no "extractor" used, or necessary in the Colt Ace and conversions.
The little "flat springy thing", thought to be an "extractor", is actually the "ejector". The "extraction" function is accomplished by the "floating chamber".

As the old time country folks used to say: "hit don't make no never mind, no how", (though probably not said in Germany); I thought perhaps you would like to know.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have a near mint that I shoot infrequently and certainly they are not famous for accuracy, but they sure are fun if you keep that floating chamber/barrel interface scrupulously clean! I was able to find a spare Mag new in the packaging a few years ago by continually searching the Internet. They are out there, but you have to be prepared for a lot of folks who think they are made of platinum. Keep looking!

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I very much like those things, and the .22 conversions as well. Some day, I will maybe have one !

It is a simple thing, but I want to make sure my post does NOT come across as"know-it-all", and in a condescending manner.

It has to do with the names of your list of "spare parts"....Very commendable to have; but, there is no "extractor" used, or necessary in the Colt Ace and conversions.
The little "flat springy thing", thought to be an "extractor", is actually the "ejector". The "extraction" function is accomplished by the "floating chamber".

As the old time country folks used to say: "hit don't make no never mind, no how", (though probably not said in Germany); I thought perhaps you would like to know.
The Service Model ACE and Conversion Unit uses an extractor in the same manner as the 1911, and there is one laying there next to the ejector.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts

It is a simple thing, but I want to make sure my post does NOT come across as"know-it-all", and in a condescending manner.

The Service Model ACE and Conversion Unit uses an extractor in the same manner as the 1911, and there is one laying there next to the ejector.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Hi,

Also have spare firing pin, extractor and two extra #2 slide stops, just in case ...
Lord knows I hate to post wrong information here, but Kenwind is correct. The Ace and conversion units do have a slide fitted extractor.

Without enlarging O P's picture, I took his comments to mean he was showing an "extractor", and a firing pin, as his spares, and referring to his "ejector" as the extractor.
After Kenwind pointed out my mistake, I enlarged the picture, and certainly there is an extractor lying by the ejector. I don't know about a "spare" firing pin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mistake :eek:: of course there are spare ejector and extractor shown on the pic. Don't know how I it came to state the firing pin.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Two spare #2 slide stops, I'm envious!

I don't know what the German regulations are, but the USPS lists arms and ammo, gun parts etc. as prohibited to mail to Germany.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two spare #2 slide stops, I'm envious!

I don't know what the German regulations are, but the USPS lists arms and ammo, gun parts etc. as prohibited to mail to Germany.

Even so I did not plan to offer or sell this parts: according to the German gun law are slide, frame and barrel gunparts. All other parts are not covered by this law, like stock screw, magazine sight, springs. And as this parts are no gunparts covered by this law everyone can buy and sell and send this parts using the national postal service like typical products sold from any hardware store.

For us here it seems quite difficult to send gun related stuff to the US because of the US laws. Or to order parts in the US, because of US laws again. Here I need an export permission to export the gun. But that is for handguns easy to obtain and cheap or even free of charge. And importing guns into Germany is easy and free of charge as well. Ok, besides import tax (3-6%) plus sales tax (19%) + costs for the proofhouse. But no expensive import/export-agents are needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being in Germany I'd try the GSG M1911-22 magazine.
The SIG-Sauer 1911 are same as the GSG-stuff. Tried them: with open slide they do fit into the gun. And after the slide is closed - everything is fixed. No for nor back. The only chance is to open the bushing to take pressure away, to take out the mag again. The magazine itself makes a good impression (compared to 3K for example) but it did not work with me - ok, I have no gunsmith skills. Maybe s.o. more talented could make this mag work in the Service Model ACE.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
The SIG-Sauer 1911 are same as the GSG-stuff. Tried them: with open slide they do fit into the gun. And after the slide is closed - everything is fixed. No for nor back. The only chance is to open the bushing to take pressure away, to take out the mag again. The magazine itself makes a good impression (compared to 3K for example) but it did not work with me - ok, I have no gunsmith skills. Maybe s.o. more talented could make this mag work in the Service Model ACE.
Well I thought it might be an alternative for you. Most eBayers will not ship out of U.S.; I'm not one of them. I've sent reloading stuff to S. America and a bullet mold to Poland, and some gun parts here and there. Nothing serious or expensive. The State Dept. has a value limit of $100.00 on exporting gun parts.

I've read the GSG 1911-22 magazine works, and I had a GSG, that my Niece's husband now has, and I tried the GSG in my Service Model parts gun, and I agree the GSG magazine spring is not heavy enough for the ACE.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Due to kenhwinds input I took again a look at the SIG-Sauer 1911 .22 Magazine. To me the outside of the right feedlip seemed to be the culprit. So I polished it down a bit. Then I could move the slide for and back with the magazine inside. It worked with a loaded magazine as well. Just did some test shooting, feeding new rounds and expelling cases do not work reliable in the auto-cycle, yet.

Have to do some more work, but could be an easy one for a smith. The magazine itself (quality, price and availability) would be worth further trying.

SIG_Sauer 1911 .22 Mag i.jpg SIG_Sauer 1911 .22 Mag ii.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts