Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I will be inheriting a blued magna ported (?) 2-1/2" Python Snubby - no photos - but will post.

Any chance this was done at the factory either before or after purchase? or possible through the custom shop - don't know if there is a box - if so would it be marked as ported?

If it was me I would purchase a ported gun I intended to shoot - so presume it's been fired - but supposed to be in good condition.

I understand I can get a letter but just wondering if any of you can help me better understand which pythons could legitimately be ported before I even think about it any further?

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would say the chances of it being factory are slim. I have never seen a magna-ported snubby. It could be possible, but I just don't think that was something people did to these guns often.

Someone else may know more.

That wouldn't stop me from buying it if the price was right. My 3" S&W 629 is magna-ported and I really like it. I wouldn't pay to have a gun ported, but if it was already done and I thought the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate buying one. Even a Python. I think they are fairly attractive with magna-ports, and the Python would be too. A shame though that such a desirable and expensive gun got the treatment, as I am all about factory original with Colts.

A letter will tell you for sure if it was done before shipment. If sent back, it would not say, but I don't think Colt would have taken it back and done magna-porting. I believe they had their own in house porting which was round 'dot' ports. Never know though.

·
Premium Member
19,177 Posts
I think one of the distributors ordered some ported 2-1/2" stainless Pythons.
I am not sure about the blued version.

·
Premium Member
19,177 Posts
I checked and all of that Lew Horton special order was for stainless steel 2-1/2" ported Pythons.
I am still not sure if any Colt factory 2-1/2" blue ported Pythons were made.
With all of the Forum's Python experts, I feel certain we will get a definite answer before
too long.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I remember reading a thread recently about ported Python's that said the factory ports were round and after market ones have rectangular ports. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Tom

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I have a S&W model 66-3 3" Lew Horton Special that is ported along with many other goodies. Maybe they had colt do some Pythons for them?

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
I don't believe Colt did the Mag-na-porting themselves. I believe that either the entire unfinished gun or just the barrels were sent to Mag-na-Port for the work to be done and returned to Colt. S&W probably did the same...no use in setting up a complete set of tooling for a feature that would be used on only a limited number of guns. Just ship it to the people who do it for a living and be done with it.

Reactions: saemetric

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If has legit box and papers, or no B&P- and in high condition- not definitive documented porting by Colt reduces value to me.

Documented, no lowering of value. No increase either, it's not interesting.

Shooter grade snubby- doesn't matter .

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
A buddy of mine went to look at a blued Python snub for a asking price of $2300. It was magna ported and made in the late 60's. I told him that it wasn't factory. The seller said he would now list it for $2800. So if you see one from Kentucky and its magna ported, it's the gun and he will entertain a lower offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts