Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Can anyone tell me about the Colt Magnum Carry, 357, 2 inch. When were they made? How many? Today’s cost? Any issues with them? What is a fair price to pay for one NIB?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Al Meza
Gilbert, AZ

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
1999. Don't know exactly how many but they are serialed SYxxxx. The first 200 (0001 to 0200 it seems)were apparently specially marked as First Edition. You have been seeing a couple of those at auction. I have SY6xxx so that many anyway. Prices seem to be going upwards of $600. Look at Gunbroker and Auction Arms for MC auctions ended in the last month or so. There were 2 or 3. Only issue I have and I heard someone else mention it is that the trigger edges as supplied are quite sharp and hard on my fingers when shooting magnums. Perhaps the edges could be broken, but the trigger is not very thick front to back. The SF-VI, DS-II and Det Spec triggers are much more comfortable for me. My $.02. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got one of the 1st edition ones NIB this spring at a gun show. (The box is marked $1000 ... were they really that much new???) I saw it on Saturday, he wanted something like $650 for it, I went back Sunday afternoon and it was still sitting there, I waved cash at him and got it for just under $500. Kind of wish it was a regular and not a 1st edition, since I feel like I don't want to shoot it and ruin its "collectorness" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Colt's Magnum Carry was the last of the Colt small frame revolvers, and the last model of Colt's new series gun that replaced the old "D" frames like the Detective Special.

In the mid 1990's Colt finally discontinued the small "D" frame revolvers.
This was the frame used to make the Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, Diamondback, and Police Positive Special.
Versions of this frame had been made since 1908.

Colt decided they could no longer continue to make a gun that required extensive hand fitting, so in 1995, they dropped the frame for the last time, and introduced a totally new frame to replace it.

This was Colt's "SF" frame.
It was a variation on the Trooper Mark III/King Cobra transfer-bar ignition action.
The gun was made of stainless steel.

The first in the series was the SF-VI or "Small Frame-Six Shot".
As soon as the last of the old "D" framed Detective Specials were out of the pipeline in 1997, Colt renamed it as the "DS-II" or Detective Special Two.

In the late 1990's, 1998?? Colt brought it out in a .357 Magnum version and called it the Magnum Carry.

In 2000?? Colt stopped production of most of their revolvers, and the Magnum Carry was discontinued after only a couple of years of production.

Due to the chambering in .357, the stainless construction, and the short production life, the Magnum Carry is being hunted by both shooters and collectors.

One of the 1st edition guns, NIB would be a collectors item, and probably should be preserved as such.

Typically, prices on a good Magnum Carry or any of the "SF" framed stainless guns run high.
Prices on the online auctions run VERY high, but gun show and gun shop prices are rapidly catching up.

There weren't that many of these made, and there simply aren't enough to go around to collectors and people wanting them for a carry gun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Only issue I have and I heard someone else mention it is that the trigger edges as supplied are quite sharp and hard on my fingers when shooting magnums. Perhaps the edges could be broken, but the trigger is not very thick front to back. The SF-VI, DS-II and Det Spec triggers are much more comfortable for me. My $.02. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my experience, too, as the trigger tip and edges were quite sharp. I sent it off to a gunsmith to have the trigger welded to build it up front-rear and in width and recontour with no sharp edges. It made a world of difference in user friendliness.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought one new for $325 right after they came out at a local gun store. Had to order it. Never seen one on display at that time. Most people at that time thought Colt went out of business. I had the gun store guy tell me that when I went to order it Colt was no longer in business. I had to set him straight. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Yes the trigger and lines were sharp for me. Nothing a little filing and sand paper would not fix up.
Not much to the inerds of one. Very simple lock work. Good? Bad? Don't know, it works all the time like most revolvers, so that's good I guess.
I haven't seen to many of them, especially lately. Never see them at gun shows come to think about it.
See them occationally on line.
They are OK, the trigger pull is nothing spectacular, like a tricked out Detective Special is.
I had a trigger spring break on me once. The trigger springs on the first ones were weak and did not return the trigger back quickly. Later Colt came out with a stronger trigger spring and it is fine.
The trigger springs are not what you might think of, they are coil, but the ends of the coil do the work. Kinda like a torsion coil instead of a compression coil like a ball point pen.
The rear sites are not dished out like most revolvers. So sometimes when the light hits it right, I can't see the rear sites well.
The Hogue grips are unique to the Magnum Carry. Makes it easily controlled I think. I understand Colt went into quite a bit of meetings with Hogue to produce the grip for the Magnum Carry.
IMHO the Detective Special is a much better looking gun than the Magnum Carry. Much more detail in the Detective Special than the Magnum Carry.
Mine is probably my main carry piece now. Main beater gun if you will. Easy to conceal, nice to have six, stainless, good grip to hang on to, and a 357 load for the nasty things in life. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Price? here's one for $685
Magnum Carry
GA# 976639949 $685.00
GUN IS ON HOLD PENDING RECEIPT OF ORDER--- 357 mag, Detective spl type and sized revolver, One year production, Unfired with blue carry/stoage case and all papers.
Seller: NORTHWEST ARMS CO. (NAC)
FFL Dealer: Yes Area Code: 320
http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi

Here's another for a higher price..too high I think. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$949.00 THIS GUN IS ABSOLUTELY 100% NEW IN THE BOX, JUST THE WAY IT LEFT THE FACTORY AN 2 INCH ULTRA RARE ALL STAINLESS STEEL MAGNUM CARRY IN 357 MAGNUM WITH FACTORY RUBBER GRIPS. ALSO THE MATCHING FACTORY BLUE PLASTIC SNAP CASE. A VERY RARE GUN, AND HARD TO FIND

1 - 6 of 6 Posts