Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a LNIB Magnum Carry a few months back, it appeared unfired.

After taking it to the range today I found that (like another forum member) the MC shot a pattern. I was shooting .38 special and even at 7 feet, the best I could get out of it was a 3 inch group. Out to a few yards it spread like a 00 buck.

My question is this: Could it be me, or is this really an issue with this short run revolver?

Also, Can anyone point me in the right direction for contacting Colt? It seems they have dropped their civilian oriented web site...

Thanks in advance,
UD

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
Before sending it in try the following:
1. Try a different brand/type of ammo.
2. Shoot it single action, off a sandbag. Hold the gun with both hands in a Weaver grip, and rest your hands and wrists on the bag.
Do NOT allow the gun to touch the bag, just your hands.
3. Get an experienced "snubby" shooter to give it a try.
It just might BE you.

Here's Colt's new web site: http://www.coltsmfg.com

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 05-05-2005).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dfariswheel. I suspect that I may be the weak link. I will try out your suggestions.

I was shooting weaver stance in single action, but I think sandbags and other ammo would help answer the question. I found the sights to be a challange too. I shoot very well with my J frame airweight S&W, but it has HiViz sites.

On the positive side it was very sweet in double action. My Scandium J frame trigger is unbearable in DA.

·
Registered
265 Posts
uberdog,

You may be refering to me as I had the same problem with my NIB Magnum Carry. I tried every type ammo I could find. I reload and tried various combinations and never did find a load that grouped. My Smith 649 shot one ragged hole with five rounds.

A few members of this forum and others suggested that I contact Colt. I wrote and explained the problem. I was told to send it back and they'd fix it. I did and they did.

It's still not quite as accuarte as the 649 but it's a moot point because my "always" gun is now "the beast", my Smith 340SC. In my old age I like the weight savings.

John

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it was your posts that got me thinking about it. The Magnum Carry had been a safe queen since I bought it and today was the first trip to the range.

A small back up gun does not need to be a tack driver, but I was kinda surprised by the "spread". The only other Colt revolvers I have shot are Pythons and we all know how that can spoil ya.

I plan on taking the advice given and then deciding from there. I am not sure what an acceptable grouping would be, but in my view 7 yards better yield something better than 4 inches.

UD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts