Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to send my magnum carry back to the factory a 2nd time for barrel alignment. Last year it went back in June, and less than a month later, I had it back with barrel properly indexed. After only a hundred or so rounds, the barrel started to unscrew, so back to Colt, only this time it is received on March 12th, evaluated on March 21st and still not back. I called Colt, and I was told that my revolver was still awaiting repair, and it could be late July or Early August til it was completed. It seems that this is a long time to wait for a revolver that was not properly repaired the first time. Brent, if you are out there, maybe you can help.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems. I wonder how many of the Colt's we collect but never shoot might have issues like this.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I would venture to say many.My friend bought a nickel Detective Special LNIB.He shot it and it was grouping left,I did with the same result.This gun sat in a safe for 20+ years.It went back to Colt and the gun needed to be rebarreled.You have to be extremely patient with Colt due to thier small staff and a lack of qualified DA Revolver gunsmiiths.It would also help to let Brent know what you are dealing with.JMHO.....Mike

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I would venture to say many.My friend bought a nickel Detective Special LNIB.He shot it and it was grouping left,I did with the same result.This gun sat in a safe for 20+ years.It went back to Colt and the gun needed to be rebarreled.You have to be extremely patient with Colt due to thier small staff and a lack of qualified DA Revolver gunsmiiths.It would also help to let Brent know what you are dealing with.JMHO.....Mike
curious as to what they found wrong w/the barrel.
did they say?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I had a S&W M10 snubby once (fixed sights) that also shot way to the left. In fact, you could look down the muzzle with the cylinder out and easily see the lateral sight misalignment. I did some file and silver solder work on the rear sight to get it back on target. I could never determine exactly what the cause of the alignment problem was, as the barrel and frame looked OK. From that time forward, I always check any fixed-sight revolver by swinging open the cylinder and looking down the barrel with the firing pin hole centered to judge sight alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts