Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
A First Edition NIB will sell for more than $600, but not this much yet. It is not the highest price that has been asked in the last year. The highest obtained was about $800. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Everyone says 1999, but it is in the Summer/Fall 1998 catalog as "New for 1998". I guess it was made for about a year starting in 1998 and running into calendar 1999. The 1st Edition was supposedly the first 200 made, but my serial is in the high 02xx's so it would depend on the first serial actually assigned. I have seen SY0150 at auction and Colt Customer Service claims to have a serial slightly under 0100 in their system so again, qien sabe? The 1st Edition was put out through the custom shop so came in the blue cardboard box. I also have an SY60xx to give some clue to how many overall MCs were made.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
141 Posts
That particular auction has been around for awhile (and at that asking price it will be around for a bit longer). I recall a First Edition Magnum Carry selling for about half as much on Auction Arms earlier this year.

Greg

·
Registered
188 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone says 1999, but it is in the Summer/Fall 1998 catalog as "New for 1998". I guess it was made for about a year starting in 1998 and running into calendar 1999. The 1st Edition was supposedly the first 200 made, but my serial is in the high 02xx's so it would depend on the first serial actually assigned. I have seen SY0150 at auction and Colt Customer Service claims to have a serial slightly under 0100 in their system so again, qien sabe?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one with a serial number a couple dozen or so under 100, so I must have one of the "first" first editions, and you have one of the last ...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Anybody know why Colt discontinued the model after only one year of production? Was it just a slow seller or were there problems with the gun? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
f.t.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Neither, they didn't single out the MC. In 1999, Colt stopped manufacturing all DA revolvers. Around 2002 they began making some Pythons and Anacondas through the Custom Shop, but then stopped that. Financial problems, military manufacturing commitments, yadayada. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I have one with a serial number a couple dozen or so under 100, so I must have one of the "first" first editions, and you have one of the last ...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. Perhaps the number is 300. The number 200 just appears in forum posts and ads as far as I know and, of course, "facts" propagate. Colt Customer Service did not have a handle on it, but I suspect the info available to them probably doesn't distinguish between Custom Shop and regular manufacture (ergo 1st Edition and subsequent) and that is above and beyond for phone reseach. Thanks for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts