Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I got a Colt Bisley .32-20 that was manufactured in 1902. I am going to begin loading some black powder rounds for it soon. I was wondering if it is okay to use magnum primers?
I do have some regular Small Pistol Primers but when those run out I don't know when I will be able to get more. The only thing available around here are Magnum Small Pistol Primers.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I don't see why not. The "pop" of a magnum primer is pretty insignificant compared to a case of BP.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I don't have a 32-20 or reload for one but you might also get more consistent ignition with magnum primers and BP.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Sounds like a chronograph opportunity to me 😁
Vic

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Sounds like a chronograph opportunity to me 😁
Vic
I actually did that a couple of years ago with 44 Mag and a 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk.
Mixed Brass
240 gr LSWC Rim Rock Bullets-Standard Cast
19.5 Gr IMR4227
10 Shots
Single Stage press, all charges hand-weighed.

Federal LPFederal LP MagFederal LR Mag
Avg105310761192
Es699660
Sd242818

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
You should be more than fine using magnum primers with blackpowder. When you switch to smokeless loads, I would back down about 1/2 a grain if you want to try and stay with the same pressure. A bisley has a lot of extra metal in both the cylinder and barrel forcing cone when chambered in 32-20.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yes, I use Winchester Magnum primers in all my black powder loads, .45 Colt and .45 Springfield.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts