Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a purchase of a 6 inch nickle python for a shooter. I have never owned a nickle gun and have to admit I don't know much about that finish. I know that gun solvent can lift the nickle if it seeps into a crack etc. anything else to lookout for? Would that finish be worthwhile for a shooter grade? Thanks

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
gcs, do not use any product containing ammonia on a nickel plated revolver. Many nickel plated guns have a layer of copper under the nickel, and ammonia will attach and corrode the copper, causing the nickel to flake off.

Nickel is an excellent finish for shooter grade guns. If it has some crazing, haziness or scratches, the thin layer of nickel can be polished with Flitz polish to make it shine again. Be gentle, as the nickel layer is very thin. Don't polish down to the copper.

I use Eezox and Renaissance Wax to maintain my nickel plated revolvers, well, at least I used to before I lost my guns in that terrible boating accident.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...-colt-double-action-internals.html#post330768

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fooled around too long and when I stopped to buy it.....guess what?....gone. Sold earlier in the morning. Oh well, not the first time i missed out by hesitating but they did have a diamondback 4" 22. Blued. No box and a buggered spot on the lug. I picked it up instead for a shooter.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
First Rule In Gun Buying: If you see it and think you want it....BUY IT RIGHT THEN AND THERE. If you wait and come back for it, it'll be gone, especially if it's a Colt.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Gcs71...unfortunately...we all learn the hard way. If you see it (Colts) and the condition and price are right...buy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts