Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Well Lonesome Pigeon (I love that name, LOL) There are a number of people that might take you up on that. I have apple products and I am not sure how to use those posting sites.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks. I've been using imgur for a few years now, but do have some old photobucket pics posted on various forums. Added the extension to my chrome browser.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,164 Posts
Yes, I did load it and it works but I am moving all of my photo's over to Fotki. I think it's only a matter of time before Photobucket will put a block on that fix. They won't even let you download complete albums, only one photo at a time. I asked them about it and they said:We have not been given an estimated time of when the download album issue will be fixed; our IT group is working on it.

Sounds like they don't want to make it easy to leave.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Yes, I did load it and it works but I am moving all of my photo's over to Fotki. I think it's only a matter of time before Photobucket will put a block on that fix. They won't even let you download complete albums, only one photo at a time. I asked them about it and they said:We have not been given an estimated time of when the download album issue will be fixed; our IT group is working on it.

Sounds like they don't want to make it easy to leave.
Like my friend, the computer programmer, says: "It's not a bug, it's a feature". No doubt the download issue is intentional, and no doubt they will lose a lot of users. I actually suspect that Photobucket will die from self inflicted wounds pretty soon, the internet is full of those "upgrade your account" pictures and it's about as bad PR as it could possibly be. What really gets me is that they thought people would pay for a service that's very easy to get for free, I still can't wrap my head around this.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
When all the quandry began with Photobucket, I went in and downloaded all my pictures to my computer. Then I made two (2) file, one on my external hardrive and one on a thumbdrive. If I lose my computer I still have backups with all my data I need to keep. I them disassociated myself with Photobucket!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
When all the quandry began with Photobucket, I went in and downloaded all my pictures to my computer. Then I made two (2) file, one on my external hardrive and one on a thumbdrive. If I lose my computer I still have backups with all my data I need to keep. I them disassociated myself with Photobucket!
I don't understand why people don't backup their stuff as a matter of routine. Websites come and go, hard drives die. Maybe the Photobucket experience will be a catalyst.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I am not computer literate. You younger guys all grew up with it. I never touched a computer until retirement. Yes, I am on here a lot but only slowly learned enough to post and also I never learned to type or rather hunt and peck until I bought one. I purposely stayed away from computers as I didn't want to get assigned the radio room on my job. I still don't understand this back up stuff. What really annoys me is all the pop up ad`s. It reminds me of trying to read a newspaper years ago and a mean young nephew batting my newspaper for attention. Now why would a site like photo bucket suck you in for free unless it was "looking ahead" to spring a big fee on us after all our info was on their site? In my case I had all my gun pictures on it and no longer know where I ran them off of! I have experimented a little but still have trouble recalling the process that I used by trial and error to do it. There aint no free lunch!

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
The way Photobucket handled this third party posting issue will certainly cause heavy defection to other such websites. They deserve to go out of business.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I just now renewed my PB for the umpteenth time, now about 900 pix in it. I've had a few issues with it but only transitory that cleared themselves up, the only problem being sometimes a delay. I upload to PB from pix in my PC, that I back up into another PC, do don't have much risk.

Question -- What is PB's version of 3rd party hosting? Seems all of mine involve 3 parties; me, PB & a forum ----->

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I don't understand why people don't backup their stuff as a matter of routine. Websites come and go, hard drives die. Maybe the Photobucket experience will be a catalyst.
I have learned the value of backups the hard way. Had a hard drive die on me, and it was full of irreplaceable stuff like family pictures, work files, drawings, accounting etc. It just started making a noise one day, and then the computer wouldn't start up again. Fortunately, I have a computer savvy friend who was able to revive temporarily it and retrieve most of the data from it, but it was a wake up call for sure. I use Carbonite now, and it backs up automatically so I don't have to worry about it. It's still a web service so it's not ideal, but it's a well established commercial site so I feel much more confident with them than a free hosting site. Some like to use external hard drives, this allows you to access the files without being connected to the Internet, but at the same time you will be more vulnerable in case of a fire or burglary. I guess the ideal backup would be an external drive plus a web based remote backup.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I am not computer literate. You younger guys all grew up with it. I never touched a computer until retirement. Yes, I am on here a lot but only slowly learned enough to post and also I never learned to type or rather hunt and peck until I bought one. I purposely stayed away from computers as I didn't want to get assigned the radio room on my job. I still don't understand this back up stuff. What really annoys me is all the pop up ad`s. It reminds me of trying to read a newspaper years ago and a mean young nephew batting my newspaper for attention. Now why would a site like photo bucket suck you in for free unless it was "looking ahead" to spring a big fee on us after all our info was on their site? In my case I had all my gun pictures on it and no longer know where I ran them off of! I have experimented a little but still have trouble recalling the process that I used by trial and error to do it. There aint no free lunch!
A backup can be as simple as a second internal hard drive or an external USB hard drive to which you copy your data, or it can be much more involved than that. The advantages of an external USB drive are it's portable and they usually come with backup software that will automate the process for you.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
I tried the fix but when I go under tools and manage add ons there is nowhere to do a search like it says there should be in the link the OP put in. So I can't search for the photobucket add on as it won't let me search. I can't believe I'm still wasting time trying to do this honestly.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I tried the fix but when I go under tools and manage add ons there is nowhere to do a search like it says there should be in the link the OP put in. So I can't search for the photobucket add on as it won't let me search. I can't believe I'm still wasting time trying to do this honestly.
Here. Just use this link to the google webstore and search for the extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts