Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this auction. People are actually paying good money for these repro boxes. Some well over 100 bucks. Help me out I cant understand it. Do they not realize it is a repro?

ebay auction

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bowhunter, I agree with you on the price. But what makes you think this one is a repro?

I have seen some very clearly repro cardboard boxes for Gov't Model complete with blank labels. But the one in your link is a blue hard case. If that is a repro perhaps you can educate the rest of us on how to determine authenticity.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm missing something here also, they are NOT 'reproducing' the plastic cases "yet"! Hell , I can only get about $15 -20 for these at the gun shows.

Yes, some Colt ,S&W and Ruger boxes (cardboard) early vintage, can and will go for BIG BUCKS at the 'auction. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Very doubtful anyone is counterfeiting these cases. Colt still sells the later style universal blue plastic cases on their commercial web site for 30 bucks, new. Not cheap, but still less than what some of the testosterone driven bidders pay for them on flea-bay.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Whoa, now we have an "all new ballgame"....... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Yes, they are right nt he money as to repro, the inside labels way too white.

Yes, you will get a lot of money for boxes like that and especially of that vintage. Hell,,they are getting $40 to $60 for the 'wood grained' pre 70 auto boxes that have been "repro" for a few years now..
At least the 'kraft' WW II boxes are still affordable at $24.95, but I have seen those boxes now "aged" (dirtied" stained with coffee, whatever and they are going for over $100. That's when you have to "caveat emptor" and KNOW what you're buying and from 'WHO', or you will get burned. When you knowingly bid on something and you know up front it's a 're-pop', that's YOUR choice , and all it takes is TWO people "looking & bidding"

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw a guy at berea selling repro woodgrain boxes and almost any label you needed. They were close, way closer than the xeroxed instruction sheet seen in the ebay auction. That makes me rethink the value of my 1903's box. At this rate I could almost get 50% of the value of the gun.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
This has been creeping into the collecting arena for quite a while. There are web sites devoted to replica manuals, boxes, hang tags, etc. for Winchester, Savage, and now Colt is receiving more attention. As long as there is a market,it will only escalate.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew the boxes added value, but I didnt know about the web sites. Doesnt suprise me at all. Well atleast it will give me something to look up while Im at work. Thanks

·
Registered
909 Posts
It was bad enough when people were trying to change the serial numbers on boxes to match a gun; now we have to contend with this. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts