Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: If you like your Colts stock, don't look any further :p
I like SAA's both stock and tuned.

Coming back to a post about Bob Munden's guns I did a while ago, I was still left with some questions, so I decided to make another thread.

I know the SAA isn't designed for fanning and fast draw but it still can be tuned to reasonably hold up.
I'm looking to get into doing this myself someday, since I find the process very interesting (I haven't had the chance to get a copy of the Kuhnhausen book - yet)

From what I've understood, several modifications are being done to make the gun fannable:

- Coil springs modification and modified bolt/trigger spring. (optional removing metal from the bolt)
- Enlarging the locks and lengthening the bolt lead-ins on the cylinder.
- Bolt stabilizer block is being added.
- Hammer build up for easier fanning.
- Polishing up and removing any burrs from the internal parts/channels/honing of the forcing cone ('basic' action job)

On top of that,
Is there anything done to the screws, hardening of the moving parts, ratchet and hand?

And is there any difference when doing this modification to a real SAA or clones? (I'd only do it on clones)

Jim Martin, have you ever attempted to build an SAA modified for fanning/fast draw?

-Prowbar

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Disclaimer: If you like your Colts stock, don't look any further :p
I like SAA's both stock and tuned.

Coming back to a post about Bob Munden's guns I did a while ago, I was still left with some questions, so I decided to make another thread.

I know the SAA isn't designed for fanning and fast draw but it still can be tuned to reasonably hold up.
I'm looking to get into doing this myself someday, since I find the process very interesting (I haven't had the chance to get a copy of the Kuhnhausen book - yet)

From what I've understood, several modifications are being done to make the gun fannable:

- Coil springs modification and modified bolt/trigger spring. (optional removing metal from the bolt)
- Enlarging the locks and lengthening the bolt lead-ins on the cylinder.
- Bolt stabilizer block is being added.
- Hammer build up for easier fanning.
- Polishing up and removing any burrs from the internal parts/channels/honing of the forcing cone ('basic' action job)

On top of that,
Is there anything done to the screws, hardening of the moving parts, ratchet and hand?

And is there any difference when doing this modification to a real SAA or clones? (I'd only do it on clones)

Jim Martin, have you ever attempted to build an SAA modified for fanning/fast draw?

-Prowbar
Yes,I've been doing that since 1956 long before munden even picked up a gun.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, thanks for the reply.
Are the modifications you apply a secret or do you mind sharing a few details? Also, how does your work compare to what I summed up in my first post?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dang! Prowbar. If you keep him answering your questions, how is he ever going to finish tuning my Colt! :)

(Just having fun here. He should be finishing his wizardry on my gun this week.)

·
Banned
8,681 Posts
Prowbar said:
.......I'm looking to get into doing this myself someday, since I find the process very interesting (I haven't had the chance to get a copy of the Kuhnhausen book - yet).....
Just me I suspect but when you ask the guy who could well have written the book and did help get it written. and you aint even read the book yet conversation seems awful one sided.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,485 Posts
Tuning can certainly help a SA to stand up to shooting techniques it was never designed for, but they will wear under heavy use.

As example, speed shooter and exhibition shooter Thell Reed said he has at least three sets of guns: one set in use, one set as back up, and one set in the shop being rebuilt.

If I was going to use a single action that way I'd certainly have it tuned by Martin.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just me I suspect but when you ask the guy who could well have written the book and did help get it written. and you aint even read the book yet conversation seems awful one sided.
Well, that wasn't my intention to do so.
Does the Kuhnhausen book cover such modifications? Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dang! Prowbar. If you keep him answering your questions, how is he ever going to finish tuning my Colt! :)

(Just having fun here. He should be finishing his wizardry on my gun this week.)
Man! I'll keep my mouth shut! ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would if I knew how to reach him. He have a website? After reading several posts how his action work will make the parts have less wear and tear I'll pay whatever he thinks is fair.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Would like to point out that you might want to purchase an additional 45 cylinder with which to have the modifications addressed, leaving the numbered cylinder pristine to the gun. If Jim cautions you on some things, don't try to second guess him. He's been doing it a while.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I hope enough to make it worth his time and expertise. You should ask him.
Not really. I almost felt guilty paying him what he charged knowing how much time and work went into my gun. He's such an honest guy I would guess he undercharges quite a bit. Especially considering the quality of work he does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts