Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted before how my preferred method of carry is in the pants pocket. This presents a problem because it greatly reduces pocket space. The minimum items I take with me when I leave the house are; gun, spare ammo, wallet, phone, handkerchief, keys, loose change, small pill box, and a pen. Plus sometimes I may need such things as my checkbook, a small notepad, or tape measure if buying something for a home project. And living in a climate where eight months out of the year it's 80 to 100+ degrees prevents me from being able to wear a jacket very often for additional pocket space.

While a fanny pack would solve the problem, they are much too casual when you are dressed up. So my solution has been a man purse, or belt wallet. Although I have a few, my favorite was bought off ebay for 12 dollars and change with free shipping. They're available in black and brown leather, and vertical or horizontal positioning. The wallet can hold numerous items and leaves my pocket available for my revolver.

So, if you have a similar problem like me with pocket carry, man up and get yourself a purse! :)

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Looks like a fairly large piece of hardware to hang on your belt! I agree that carrying a small
gun (like a J frame) in your pocket does take up space. Once you add a handkerchief and your
wallet you're out of room.

I was thinking of getting one of those "sneaky pete" gadgets several years ago, but thought them
too obvious, showing you're "carrying". But now with all the LARGE I-pad type phones, maybe not.

Anybody ever ask you "Hey man -- what you got there?".

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a fairly large piece of hardware to hang on your belt!
There are many different styles and sizes available. If someone wanted a smaller one they can easily be found.

Anybody ever ask you "Hey man -- what you got there?".
No, not at all. The store I work at gets thousands of customers a day. Certainly I don't see all of them but I sure see a lot of customers. I find it more and more common to see people wearing such belt wallets, and even some men with a real live purse slung across their chest or shoulder! I'm amazed how many people have a $500+ cell phone half sticking out of their back pocket when something as simple as this can hold a phone, keys, etc..

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Years ago I was recovering from a bad accident. I was at the hospital desk with a lot of paperwork stuffed in my shirt front as I was on crutches and a full cast. I heard a woman whisper to her husband behind me, "That man has got a peacemaker!" I may have had a guilty conscience as I probably had a snub in my pocket and I started to check myself out. Then she said, oh, I told my husband you were wearing a pacemaker. That was over 45 years ago and I hadn't heard of a "pacemaker".

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
How bout carrying a shoulder bag/day pack? Men dont carry purses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
There are now a good number of hidden open carry containers for small pistols.
My daughter carries a Kahr PM9 in one of the magnetic closure belt pouches that are usually advertised every month in the American Rifleman.
I at first thought it was a little obvious but now everyone has some sort of phone carriers on their belt.

Larger guns are a problem, and there are solutions for them out there.
Personally, I wouldn't call something mounted on your belt a "man purse". That would be one of the shoulder carried bags you see around.
They work well for younger men and work well in field carry, but not so much for older men in town.

These days so many men are carrying so many bags, pouches, cases, and carriers that they no longer suggest a gun carrier.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I back pocket carry my Kahr P380 in a suitable back pocket holster and move my comb to the left back pocket with my wallet. This leaves my front pockets free for all the other stuff.

·
Registered
564 Posts
For me, if I put my gun in a holster on my belt, I find it frees up space in my pocket for those other items. Then I have no need for a purse. :p

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Always thought those fanny packs ?made? someone who was rodded up; sort of like the photographer vests which preceded them. Like the O.P., the heat dictates the attire, and therefore, the hardware carried here.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Not my style. I fit every in I need in 511 tactical pants Lol.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
My first reaction is a real man doesn't wear a purse. But then again mountain men carried a "possible bag". I first started seeing foreign tourists around national parks wearing stuff like that. I still aint interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts