Colt Forum banner

Man's best friend is true.

4K views 62 replies 40 participants last post by  broknaxl 
#1 ·
No doubt the saying is accurate and I know misery loves company but I lost my best dog ever today. Kidney failure.
Max was right beside me for 11 years and went everywhere I could take him.
Gonna miss that boy.

Vehicle Dog Car Canidae Vintage car

See less See more
#15 ·
Here is my best good friend MOE on his last day......best dog I ever had.....I refuse to get another as it wouldn't be fair to compare them to him....

I can understand that but I'm not sure its the right train of thought.
When I put my first dog down within a year my mother was gone and a few months later dad went to find her.
Friends told me you should get another dog, well I wasn't ready for that. But it seems that Divine Intervention wasn't letting me off the hook. Went for a bike ride one morning and a Labrador tried to come inside. A lost dog, heck I didn't know, he's gone now too. Named him Ithaca, I started saying names and he reacted to Ithaca.

My brother and I live together and he had several dogs they're gone now also. When he was down to the last one, Gator who was his dog, my niece came over and asked if we wanted another dog. Well it seemed someone had to give up their dog, so I said why not if anything happens to Gator my brother would be devastated. I hate being prolific Gator was put to sleep on Christmas Eve. By the time we put Koda down we'll be too old to give hoot any more.

#17 ·
I think most of us have gone through the same grief...multiple times through our lives. All were special and all were members of the family. My utmost condolences to you.

Reactions: Dave_T and Jackson
#21 ·
I don't known why I sitting here with tears in my eyes - getting old I guess.
I'll suggest that you do know why, and it has nothing to do with age.

God bless them all! Jackson
He does...and in turn, He, and the dogs themselves, bless us with their presence in our lives.

#22 ·
No doubt the saying is accurate and I know misery loves company but I lost my best dog ever today. Kidney failure.
Max was right beside me for 11 years and went everywhere I could take him.
Gonna miss that boy.

Sincerest condolences on the loss of your Best Friend. How handsome he looks in your photograph of him. I know how difficult it is to go from a constant presence in your life, home, and heart, to the sudden and total absence of that presence literally in a heartbeat. My belief is that you will see Max again.

#23 ·
Dogs play a big part in some of our lives. I couldn't own a dog for many years due to my travels. When I finally settled down my wife and I picked Sam to join the family and it wasn't long before she had him eating out of her hand just like I did. When I lost her after 40+ years Sam was my comfort he was my constant memory of her and our times together.

Ya I know how it hurts to lose family, the pain is just awful and to ease it I got someone that is new but looks like the old boy I walked many a miles with. No sense walking those miles alone.

Jim Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

#27 ·
My condolences for the loss of such a close friend. Dogs really are special and we carry them with us forever. I wouldn't want it any other way. When our Jake passed years back, we buried him in the yard near the firepit and planted a tree over him. The location is a frequent gathering place for family and friends. A tree never meant so much to me either.

#28 ·
Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed Hunting dog
Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Carnivore
We lost our good friend Sophie a few months ago after she had been with us for seventeen years. The ache in my heart won't be going away anytime soon. She was a great trail dog and would travel along with my wife and I as we rode horseback. Our horses are still looking for her when we are out riding because I believe that she provided a feeling of safety for them.

#29 ·
Sorry for your loss.

This was Pounce; 140# of family member during the day; and door bouncer - if he said you weren't coming in the house you didn't make it in! At night - super security guard. He would sleep outside our bedroom door at night heaven help anyone trying to do us harm. He was almost 9 years old when he crossed the bridge; we miss him a lot. He went to sleep outside our bedroom door and didn't wake up darn it.

We will see him again one day.

#30 ·
I am so sorry for your lost. I lost my hunting buddy/best friend last December, don't think I could ever replace Samantha. I hate to admit this, I am in tears just sitting here writing this response. I think about Sam every day, she was the biggest reason I keep on buying new shotguns, she alway told that we need a new gun.

Attachments

#31 ·
Patrick Pearce was named after a 19th century Irish revolutionary. He was the mainstay of my sweetheart. She had him from about 6mos., and he had a charmed life, however short, for 7 years. I had him part-time, almost every weekend, and I took him around my sweetheart's neighborhood nearly every evening. He was very popular. Patrick succumbed to a fairly uncommon leukemia. He gave a clear message when time was up, and he went with a smile. Truly a noble hound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.