Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In examining my Lawman MkIII I noticed a hole in the trigger that was filled by an Allen screw. I tried it and it seems that these revolvers have an adjustable trigger stop like the Gold Cups. I have never seen anything touting the adjustable triggers on these models. Do other MkIII pistols have this same kind of trigger and did all "J" frames have them?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
This is a feature of the later Colt's like the Mark III, Mark V, and King Cobra.

This really isn't a trigger stop in the normal way, in that it wasn't there for the owner's use.

The stop was so the factory fitter could adjust the trigger for proper function without having to be hand fitted by trying to file a case hardened trigger.

Once adjusted at the factory, it was secured by Loctite, and wasn't to be re-adjusted by the owner.
There is a slight risk that re-adjusting the screw could cause the Loctite to fail to hold, and the screw could move in or out under recoil vibration and cause a failure to fire.

Another risk is, the trigger must be properly adjusted by the screw or the hammer could "drag" on the trigger, and this can cause a rough, heavy trigger pull, or damage to the parts.
This is hard to judge without disassembling the gun, so unless there's a problem, it's better to leave it set at the factory position.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts