Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just picked up a mint (no box, and gun has been fired a few times) Series 70 that dates to 1974. I traded about $950 worth of goods for the pistol. Mine looks simliar to yours except that I have the sanded grips, and the original owner swapped the collet bushing for a sold one (I'm swapping it back to make it original). Nice guns these 70 series!

·
Registered
470 Posts
A fair amount depends on what we're not seeing.. If the gun comes 'as new with an excellent box & all papers' - $1200 and maybe a little more.. If it is as shown with no box or papers - or a rough box - closer to $900.. The gun w/box will sell almost instantly to a collector - even at more money.. The gun in 'as new' condition - but no box just isn't as desirable to collectors - who are mostly those willing to pay the bigger bucks.. Without box it would most likely go to someone who will make it a 'well cared for' shooter.. imo...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think CSM nailed it on the values. Fake boxes are out there but please avoid them. They are frequently used to scam people and not the best storage option. Even if you were to disclose a fake box as a new repro, a future owner could be less honorable. That's a very nice 1911 that would sell quickly as is, with no box or literature. IMHO

(Just to clarify, I don't think that was your intention. Just adding my 2 cents on the box and value topic.)

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but, looking down the barrel in this last picture reminded me that every Armed Robbery report I ever took, the Victim describes the weapon as a 45 as he looked down the barrel.

And yet, 99% of those robberies committed by the suspects were done with 22's, 25's and 32's.:rolleyes:

If the Suspects had enough money back then to afford a 45, or even the cartridges for one, they wouldn't be robbing folks.

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
A fair amount depends on what we're not seeing.. If the gun comes 'as new with an excellent box & all papers' - $1200 and maybe a little more.. If it is as shown with no box or papers - or a rough box - closer to $900.. The gun w/box will sell almost instantly to a collector - even at more money.. The gun in 'as new' condition - but no box just isn't as desirable to collectors - who are mostly those willing to pay the bigger bucks.. Without box it would most likely go to someone who will make it a 'well cared for' shooter.. imo...
+2 -- I think $1200+ is about right. Hit the right buyer and you might get to $1400. Of course it would be marked $2400 at most of the local gunshows. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts