Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1911 on GB, a blued Mark IV with wood grips. I was looking for a reasonably priced 1911 with adjustable sights, and this one has both. I looked up the serial number, and it looks like it was made in 1973.

I don’t know a whole lot about Colt 1911’s, so I’m not sure at all what to expect when this one gets here. What is the reputation for build quality for guns from those years?

Again, it’s not here yet, but I will post pics when I get it.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
The pistols were good I had a 1972 and a 1975 MKIV, and both served me well. The 72 45 must have 90,000 round shot through it. I don't shoot it much these days, but 45 years ago its all I had, so it was shot quite a bit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have dies, brass, powder, primers and bullets. Now all I need is for the gun to arrive. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hello ditto, Be looking forward to those photos. Like to see those adjustable sights. Other's luck with '70 Series Colts has apparently been significantly better than mine. I bought several '70 Governments, Gold Cups and one Combat Government back in the day. Had more problems over time with those 1970s guns than with most any other 1911 pistol I've owned. My luck with the original '70 Series guns was probably just bad Karma due to misdeeds in a former life though:rolleyes: Hopefully, yours will be a fine pistol.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nice looking gun, appears to be Millett sights , front and rear......when you have the gun apart, turn the slide over and look, see how the front sight was mounted, if the single 'tenon' you are OK , some, too many of the Millett sights were put on with their special tool and had TWO holes drilled to mount the front sight.........tough to go back to "original"Colt front sight if two holes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got to spend and hour at the range this morning. Shot a few 230 grain lead round nose handloads and 200 LSWC handloads, all with zero stoppages. I like the sights a lot. Trigger is pretty good, too. Seems likely it will be a keeper.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I bought one in 1978 for my 21st birthday. Probably close to 70K rounds and no issues. I had the frame Armaloyed, put in long trigger, and a set of Kings Hardball sights. Even still has the original collet bushing. At onetime I put on ambi safety. Took it back off and put on a stainless one. Replaced the recoil spring as needed. I don't think you can do better than a Series 70 Colt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts