Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't meddle with old unloaded firearms. They are the most deadly and unerring things that have ever been created by man. You don't have to take any pains at all with them; you don't have to have a rest, you don't have to have any sights on the gun, you don't have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his mother every time at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old rusty muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it makes me shudder.

Advice to Youth speech, 4/15/1882

·
Premium Member
20,783 Posts
Photography Stock photography

Mark Twain with his Colt Hammerless!

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
Equally hilarious is his description of the pepper box in "Roughing It".

As I recall, the above picture and one other of Clemens and the Colt auto is of him posing with his housekeepers husbands pistol.
Clemens did apparently borrow it on occasion to plink with.

In one book that had the other photo, the gun was described as an FN pistol. I "think" the pictures were taken in Europe when Sam was living there near the end of his life.
In the other photo he's posing in a comical manner with the pistol as though hunting burglars.

·
Registered
502 Posts
From Sixguns by Elmer Keith-

"From the start, consider all guns as being loaded whether you know them to be empty or not. Treat them as loaded guns always and you will never have an accident. I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; 'empty guns' kill people every year."

·
Premium Member
20,783 Posts
In one book that had the other photo, the gun was described as an FN pistol.
I "think" the pictures were taken in Europe when Sam was living there near the end of his life.
He might have had FN's 1903 which is based Brownings 1903 pistol design only slightly
larger and chambered in 9mm Browning Long.
However in the picture with MT it looks like a Colt 1903 to me.

. Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Internet Picture of FN's 1903

1 - 7 of 7 Posts