Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would very much appreciate comments that have to do with the potential market value range for my Colt SAA revolvers. I might well be listing them on GB in the near future and am trying to decide on a reasonable selling price or a penny starting price. Listed below are some particulars of this set:

This pair of Colts is from the factory custom shop. According to Don Wilkerson's book about post war single action revolvers they will be very rare in this configuration...possibly a one of a kind set. They are like new in factory presentation cases with slight wear to the inside of each case (see photos), consecutively numbered, .357 caliber, 7&1'2" BBLs. Blue (and Case Hardened), "A" engraved (generously) which is the most rare class of engraving for this generation according to the same reference; unturned cylinders; all paperwork to include the invoice plus a factory letter.

James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks to you, Shooter13, for the bright description! I have considered that this AM...about the same time I thought of posting here first, though. Thank you for the comments and the RIA contact info.

Have a great afternoon...evening and weekend!

James

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Since no one has answered your question I will submit this; just to give you a ball park. $6500-$7000. Regards,
keith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really do appreciate your input, Keith. Thanks, man!

I might try to get an estimate from RIA on them and a few other pieces this coming week.

James

·
Premium Member
18,994 Posts
I tend to strongly agree with forum member hwjhfs on the value being in the $6500 to $7000 range. I own a pair of similar 3rd gen unflutted cylinder SAA's that were factory engraved at Colt with about A or B coverage. I have never sought a Colt letter, because the guns have the Colt Eng stamp under the grips.
I dare say that factory engraved SAA's with this unusual cylinder style are extremely scarce.
I would gladly sell my pair for $6500. Here are pictures so you can compare to your set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
saintclair:

Thanks to you, too, for posting such good pictures of your very nice set! I have problems with taking good pics as the ones I do have show a lot of definition to the engraving, but they do not show the beautiful colors. For example, the colors in your pair are the same kind that are in mine...but like I said...I have problems with taking pics, and cannot get them to show up. I'll keep trying though.

I first saw my set in Cheyenne, Wyoming, during the rodeo many years back. When winter came along with heavy snow as Christmas approached that year, I could not keep them out of my mind. Called the fellow up and was lucky that he still had them, so we made a deal...in that I paid his price!

I like them not only for their beauty, but for their uniqueness as well. Unique, primarily in that they are clearly very rare in their custom shop configuration, if not a one of a kind set, but finding a focused collector that is on the hunt for, say, consecutively numbered 3rd generation engraved Colts in each caliber and class, to fill out their collection would very likely be a difficult task. That said, having such a focus would not be complete without a set of .357's. Lacking that, they are just another pair in a gauge that does not have the appeal of the .45's. Still, I have been very fortunate to have been their keeper for quite some time now... which has been a true joy for certain.

Thank you, again, for your post and the the great pics!!!

Enjoy the weekend!

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts