Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know what the following letters/numbers indicate under the left grip??? The number/leter 6 over the letter C are cast... The letters M and K are stamped??? I was looking for an "N" to indicate Nickel but there is none...

Any Clue???

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
The "6" and the "C" are forge control numbers.
Unlike ordinary inspector's stamps, these marks are actually formed when the frame was forged.
These allow tracking of which forge and operator actually forged it.

The stamped "K" and "M" are inspector's stamps indicating that the frame was inspected during machining and heat treating operations.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed and thanks... If the gun is Nickel should there not be an "N" in that area as well to indicate such??? If not there, than anywhere else??? How about Stainless as well???

In short, are there clues verifying that a Colt was produced in Stainless or Nickel???

Thanks,

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes I believe the N would be stamped on the left side gripframe, such as this example.

I am not saying that every factory nickel gun came stamped this way, but I think pretty much every factory original nickel gun in my collect has such a stamping. I pulled 2 out at random and both had the N stamping.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Here is the left side of the gripframe on the 3" nickel Detective Special I posted in the revolver section titled 3" Nickel (this time with photo!). As you can see from the photo in the other post the original box proves to be factory nickel. The photo below of the same gun shows the N on the left side gripframe.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
As always with Colt, no guarantees, but nickel guns seem to always have a "N" stamped on the frame.

Stainless guns usually have a "S" stamped inside the ejector rod shroud on the barrel, on the center bushing at the rear of the cylinder under the ejector, AND on the frame.

Following this standard, I'd guess that a Electroless Nickel model would have a "SN" or "EN" stamped on the frame.

Following this reasoning, with a nickel gun, no "N" on the frame probably means it's NOT a factory nickel plate job.

Again, with Colt never say never, and look REAL close, because sometimes the stamps are faint.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Stainless guns usually have a "S" stamped inside the ejector rod shroud on the barrel, on the center bushing at the rear of the cylinder under the ejector, AND on the frame.

Following this standard, I'd guess that a Electroless Nickel model would have a "SN" or "EN" stamped on the frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

That solves the mystery... It jumps out at you inside the ejector rod shroud, yea right, with the aid of reading glasses and a magnifing glass while squinting I found it...

Thanks to both for your valuable input...

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

I am not saying that every factory nickel gun came stamped this way, but I think pretty much every factory original nickel gun in my collect has such a stamping. I pulled 2 out at random and both had the N stamping.

[/ QUOTE ]

when or approx when was this started? or do prewars also have the n stamping?? anyone know?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
502 Posts
I just took the grips off 2 "Electroless Nickel" .38 Sp. 4" Diamondbacks. Neither are stamped "N", the only marking is the forging number, and it is "J6" on both... No other marks. Also looked at several of my Nickel Diamondbacks, they are all stamped with the "N".

Interesting feature on the 2 1/2" and 4" Nickel Diamondbacks: the ramp front sights are nickel, rear adjustables are blue/black. The sight picture is terrible against a light background....The 6" model does have a blue front blade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts