Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

While at the Houston Gun Show I purchased a 1st gen Colt SAA. Nothing special about it except the price. A fair price for a parts gun.

While taking the pistol appart I noticed the barrel was marked " J.T.C. and C.P". The J.T.C. ran length wise of the Barrel and the C.P. runs cross wise. All in a streight line. The SR shows it was made in 1877. Any ideas why or what?

Ronin

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
J.T.C. = John T. Cleveland, Ordnance sub-inspector, 1876-1877-- 30,693-35,828. The C P could be a condemed mark next to the proof "P". Many condemed gov't barrels went back on civilian guns. Just a guess as to the "C".

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Greetings

While at the Houston Gun Show I purchased a 1st gen Colt SAA. Nothing special about it except the price. A fair price for a parts gun.

While taking the pistol appart I noticed the barrel was marked " J.T.C. and C.P". The J.T.C. ran length wise of the Barrel and the C.P. runs cross wise. All in a streight line. The SR shows it was made in 1877. Any ideas why or what?

Ronin
If no other inspection marks anywhere on the gun I would agree with Chaffee that it was a condemned US barrel put on a civilian gun.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks "for the help !

Could the"CP" be (CR) as I have looked at it soooooo many times that I cannot be sure anymore. Would it make more sense being "CR" instead of "CP"? .

Ronin

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I don't know what an "R" would be. (Mabey someone else does) It makes more sense for it to be "P" since there should be a "P"--Proof on the barrel. Pictures??

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Guys ----I found some more marks that I did not see the other day. I found a large "L" on the cylinder with what appears to be either a VERY small S or H. both on the hammer side of the cylinder

Next I noticed that there is NO inspector marks in the hammer slot. Is this normal ? Also the assembyl numbers all match.

I guess what I am trying to decide is this worth making it work again? I hate to part it out and donot mind spending so it looks right. I am (believe this or not) in to this pistol for $450.

Thanks again !
Ronin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts