Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few revolvers of different makes that feature King sights or modifications. Recently I acquired a brand SW revolver whose inner sideplate surface was marked like this:

The gun to which this sideplate is attached is the uncommon Ed McGivern model of the prewar .38/44 Outdoorsman -- five inch barrel instead of 6.5. This one is even more uncommon than usual in that it has received a short-throw hammer modification that speeds up lock time, presumably in the service of accurate and precise shooting. I thought at first that the King stamp meant that company did the modifications. But it now seems to me that the modification is consistent with the J.D. Buchanan short-throw modifications of the 1930s, which leaves me wondering why this huge King stamp is on the gun at all.

This is absolutely the largest and heaviest King marking I have ever seen on any revolver. Has anyone ever seen such a stamp on the inner surface of a Colt sideplate? I am looking for any comparables and any ideas on what kind of relationship would exist between the King company and any handgun that warrants this kind of marking.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

·
Registered
12,399 Posts
Fantastic marking. Rather than being stamped, it was put on with a pantograph machine. The cutter of the pantograph machine is much like a dentist's drill. One end of the machine follows a pattern while the cutter end reproduces the pattern in the steel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.