Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 King Cobra. Something that looks like pitting around one chamber. Not a bit of pitting or marks or issues anywhere else. Barrel, lands, crown. The whole gun is like new, except this one area.

most rounds fired have been 38 Special, with maybe 2 boxes of 357 mag. No reloads. All factory.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Has you owned it since it was new?
I have no idea what it is but it looks similar to cylinders I've seen that were badly out of time and the firing pin hit the cylinder repeatedly and dinged it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I got it new in the spring of ‘89.

It does look like something struck it, maybe in the factory?

I noticed the machine marks on the face of the cylinder seem to be imbedded in these divots. There might be a clue there since I doubt pitting retains surface machine marks.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Has you owned it since it was new?
I have no idea what it is but it looks similar to cylinders I've seen that were badly out of time and the firing pin hit the cylinder repeatedly and dinged it.
The marks look like they're on the cylinder face...not the chamber end. The King Cobra series has a fence around the chamber end I believe. The cylinder face would be chamfered like that one plus you can see the burn rings.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The marks look like they're on the cylinder face...not the chamber end. The King Cobra series has a fence around the chamber end I believe. The cylinder face would be chamfered like that one plus you can see the burn rings.
You're correct, I looked at the pictures again and "DUH!"
It still looks as though something peened it pretty good. The machine marks Buffalobwana mentioned are visible in the dings.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
The larger issue would be 'does it shoot the way it should?'.
I have a few that are way more beat up than that thing, and they shoot great.
Besides, it ain't really a gun until it get thrashed a little......not wrecked or mutilated, but just so you can tell it's a shooter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shoots like a laser beam. I have put it up against Sig’s, Hi Power, and a host of 1911’s including an Ed Brown and it’s a beast. Never shot a pistol that could hold a candle to it.

The issue is that I never shoot it. I’m thinning the herd in favor of fewer nicer guns. I need to disclose the marks, but want to know what they are first, and I have no idea.

The fact that the tooling lines are imbedded in the marks makes me scratch my head. Is there any way pitting could do that? And what are the odds that pitting could occur In one spot on a flawless pistol?

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
If that's corrosion there's been some touchup blue to cover it. I doubt if it's corrosion...probably stray tooling marks as already said.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,753 Posts
It's not pitting.
It's either an artifact of machining at the factory, or someone bumped the cylinder on something and dented it.

I'd lean toward someone damaging it somehow.
It would have no effect on shooting, but might impact resale value if a buyer notices it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that I think it’s probably damage while tooling, or possibly tooling pieces imbedded if they put it in a press? I don’t know the exact process they go through that could result in those kinds of marks. Maybe when they were chambering that one chamber? It’s the tooling marks inside the divots that’s have me scratching my head.

I wish I had a video of how they made the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Mmmmmm.....like a laser beam.
I reckon I would keep that one at least for a while......
THIS^^^^^^
I’ve owned maybe 6-7 like that out of .... well I’ll not go there lol, but trust me they are like hens teeth that shoot like a laser beam. I’ve regretted selling almost everyone. Most usual one of the bunch was a 2 inch Smith bodyguard (model 49). That thing would out shoot some target revolvers at 20-25 yards. Don’t ask me how... only 2 inch j frame I ever saw like that. Probably the best shooting I ever had in my hands (that I shot) was a model 28 Smith. The first time I shot it, I hit the target about dead center. Next few shots, I thought, darn am I missing the entire target..??? I looked, the hole was about the size of a 45 after 6 rounds. Sold it for a song :(. I never owned a python that would even come close to that old highway patrolman.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mmmmmm.....like a laser beam.
I reckon I would keep that one at least for a while......
Ha! Yeah, like a laser beam! It’s stoopid accurate. I have had it for 31 years. Used to shoot it in high school. Shot a deer with it in college, I used it once to qualify for NRA pistol instructor and that’s about it.

I guess we are all collectors to some extent, but it’s time to move on and collect something else. Bought a Sig P226 MK25, like the Seals use, because I’m too fat slow and old to be like a Seal, so next best thing Is owning the gun and paying for training.

Sold a couple Colt Pistol lowers, and will sell a few more guns to pay for what I want to do.A member here has 9mm brass and managed to find boolits too. Can’t justify dropping $2500 on guns and training Without liquidating assets.

I do hate to see an old snake gun go, but the Sig is a nice replacement.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
There are few things as pleasant as an astonishingly accurate handgun. And when you get to have the experience of putting 'em all in one hole, it is...... well, it is as satisfying as anything you can do.
I once rang the gong seven times at 65 yds. with my son's .45 acp.
Another time I hit 5 out of 6 4" clay birds on a sand bank at 96 paces with my 6" Python.
With the same Python, I called a shot at around 100.ft+, and took just the screw top off a milk jug. Those were some good range/plinkin' days, for sure. People who were there looked at my a little sideways.......
We do that kind of thing and then we try to chase it, and never really get it back the same way.......but we keep tryin', don't we?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts