Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well in Maryland now if you want to buy a handgun you will have to be fingerprinted. as well you have to take a gun safety class at a cost of $400.00 I heard. i'm so glad I moved from my home state 7 years ago. oh and you also have to pass the background check and wait because of the waiting period 7-10 days after all of the above. so buying a gun in Maryland now takes I don't know how long. lets hear from the members who live in Maryland. am I correct?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I hear you ussmanlovede36. I live far from Maryland but here obtaining initial licences and permits are drawn out and tedious affairs. But subsequent acquisitions then become quite fast and painless.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
A couple of months ago I was bidding on a Gun Broker auction for a COLT CUSTOM, bright stainless .38 Super. After bidding well above what I initially thought should be the "quit" point, a competitive auto bid would immediately jump ahead of me. After the auction closed I had an opportunity to speak with the seller and learned that the winning bidder was a Maryland resident that had placed a Maximum Bid $1000 in excess of where the auction closed (and incidentally about $1250 more than the gun was worth). This Maryland resident said he was going to win the gun at most any cost before the new laws took effect. I am glad he won.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I sold a gun on GB to a guy last month from there. Man ..i was really ontop of sending payment..and asking me to ship quickly as he was trying to beat the new law.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a Marylander and the info provided by ussmanlovede36 is essentially correct. I doubt that the required training course will be $400.00 but who knows for sure.

The gun show in Timonium, MD on 9/21/13 opened at 9:00 AM. I arrived at around 10:00 AM. After spending about 45 minutes looking at what was available, I decided to buy a Ruger LCR. We got numbers to fill out the required paperwork. I was number 32 and they were just serving number 14. I waited an hour and 45 minutes just to have my number called to fill out all the forms. The number of people buying guns was impressive. Because I purchased a handgun within the past year and passed that background check, I was able to pick up the gun on 9/29. Many of the others buying controlled guns (handguns and semi-auto military look-alike rifles) could not pick up their guns until after 10/1 and had to go through the whole littany of procedures. They were uniformly horrified and angry about the obstacles.

I was encouraged, however, that many folks were intent on buying guns despite the new, onerous procedures. I don't think the laws will discourage gun-buying in MD. If anything, it will probably cause us to double-down on buying what we want, despite what the politicians want us to do.

Also, concealed carry is very restricted in MD and almost no one can get a CCW. Many people here are po'ed about the whole anti-gun situation. In a minor act of defiance, I took a class to get a Utah non-resident ccw license. It won't be honored here, but it will allow me to carry in adjacent states. There were 80 other Marylanders in the class I took in Frederick, MD on 9/28. So now it's apparent that Utah has more faith in the citizenry of MD than our own elected officials do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm a Marylander and the info provided by ussmanlovede36 is essentially correct. I doubt that the required training course will be $400.00 but who knows for sure.

The gun show in Timonium, MD on 9/21/13 opened at 9:00 AM. I arrived at around 10:00 AM. After spending about 45 minutes looking at what was available, I decided to buy a Ruger LCR. We got numbers to fill out the required paperwork. I was number 32 and they were just serving number 14. I waited an hour and 45 minutes just to have my number called to fill out all the forms. The number of people buying guns was impressive. Because I purchased a handgun within the past year and passed that background check, I was able to pick up the gun on 9/29. Many of the others buying controlled guns (handguns and semi-auto military look-alike rifles) could not pick up their guns until after 10/1 and had to go through the whole littany of procedures. They were uniformly horrified and angry about the obstacles.

I was encouraged, however, that many folks were intent on buying guns despite the new, onerous procedures. I don't think the laws will discourage gun-buying in MD. If anything, it will probably cause us to double-down on buying what we want, despite what the politicians want us to do.

Also, concealed carry is very restricted in MD and almost no one can get a CCW. Many people here are po'ed about the whole anti-gun situation. In a minor act of defiance, I took a class to get a Utah non-resident ccw license. It won't be honored here, but it will allow me to carry in adjacent states. There were 80 other Marylanders in the class I took in Frederick, MD on 9/28. So now it's apparent that Utah has more faith in the citizenry of MD than our own elected officials do.

I thought utah only issued non resident permits if you had a valid resident license, I might be wrong if you got one. I have a FL, VA AND OH.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Well, I guess with all of those checks and balances, crime should go to zero. That is the point, isn't it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Members from Maryland, although I agree just more red tape to keep legal law abiding citizens from excercising their 2nd amendment rights. I live in NJ, and I have a CCW permit. The state police here still make me wait months before they issue me a pertmit to purchase a handgun. Plus, you can only purchase one handgun every 30 days. Who knows why! So for me to pick up more than one gun, I have to apply for an excemption in addition to the permit required for "each" handgun. I am standing at the desk of the state police filing all these documents out to buy a handgun, and I am wearing a gun while doing it! Lunacy right! It gets better, presently I have 3 handguns waiting at my LGS for me to pick up. I filed all my paperwork, including my "exemption" form so I can pick up all three guns at one time. It has been about 2 months, I get a call from the state police that my documents are ready. I go pick them up, it is the exemption form that was approved, but the permits were not done yet! It is the same unit that handles this. So basically the state police firearms unit approved me to pick up 3 guns at once, but they still have not approved the permits that allow me to do this. The same unit approves my CCW every year, and has certified me to be one of the instructors that can qualify retired officers for their CCW permit. Not to mention the numerous guns that I already own. Why they make me wait? I have no idea, but they do. sorry to rant on somebody else's post.

Blade

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Members from Maryland, although I agree just more red tape to keep legal law abiding citizens from excercising their 2nd amendment rights. I live in NJ, and I have a CCW permit. The state police here still make me wait months before they issue me a pertmit to purchase a handgun. Plus, you can only purchase one handgun every 30 days. Who knows why! So for me to pick up more than one gun, I have to apply for an excemption in addition to the permit required for "each" handgun. I am standing at the desk of the state police filing all these documents out to buy a handgun, and I am wearing a gun while doing it! Lunacy right! It gets better, presently I have 3 handguns waiting at my LGS for me to pick up. I filed all my paperwork, including my "exemption" form so I can pick up all three guns at one time. It has been about 2 months, I get a call from the state police that my documents are ready. I go pick them up, it is the exemption form that was approved, but the permits were not done yet! It is the same unit that handles this. So basically the state police firearms unit approved me to pick up 3 guns at once, but they still have not approved the permits that allow me to do this. The same unit approves my CCW every year, and has certified me to be one of the instructors that can qualify retired officers for their CCW permit. Not to mention the numerous guns that I already own. Why they make me wait? I have no idea, but they do. sorry to rant on somebody else's post.

Blade
To frustrate you ,and make it as difficult as possible to buy a handgun. All in the name of reasonable gun control measures. NJ another hellhole like NY for gunowners.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.