Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Massachusetts is threatening to enact a New York style ivory ban that is far harsher than the Federal Ivory Ban. At prior hearings, Commonwealth legislators said they would wait to see what federal officials adopt and decide how the Commonwealth could support federal efforts. Instead, Animal Rights Groups are pushing for a New York style ban that will criminalize the antique trade and disregard the federal de minimis rules.

SB450/HB419 would:

• Impose rigorous documentation requirements AND a 200 gram limit on the trade of antiques containing ivory or rhino horn (items made wholly or primarily of ivory weighing less than 200g are also criminalized)
  • Criminalize sale of all ivory less than 100 years old except for musical instruments with less than 200g of ivory
  • Create a slush fund to encourage aggressive persecution of people who own legally acquired ivory items, including bounties

Recent prosecutions and ivory crushes in New York and other states with ivory bans show how states over-charge people with crimes that would be financially crippling and then compel settlements which prevent these draconian laws from being effectively challenged. As we warned four years ago, they are making criminals out of desperate people who are trying to recoup their investment in legally acquired ivory items to fund an animal rights agenda that is divorced from reasonable animal conservation measures in Africa. Federal law already criminalizes importation of poached African elephant ivory. Intrastate bans punish innocent people to virtue signal and raise money for corrupt NGOs.

We believe a hearing will be scheduled before the Joint Committee on Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture in October. Massachusetts residents should contact their representatives to express their opposition based on the futility of an intra-state ban when federal law already address both international and intrastate trade of ivory. Mass residents can use our website to reach legislators through Twitter by clicking here or anyone can write/call to them by clicking here for Senate members or clicking here for House members. Massachusetts has no domestic population of elephants to protect, but it does have a rich history of scrimshaw, antiques, and legally acquired art made from ivory. They should not pass a law that disincentivizes African nations from growing elephant populations by stripping all hope of any commercial benefit from elephants. They should protect Massachusetts citizens who own items made of legally acquired ivory from Animal Rights zealots and well-meaning people who have been misled by Animal Rights disinformation.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That's just a liberal segment of the population living in Massachusetts for you.....

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
In April of 2015 the Democratic Legislature of the Peoples Republic of Oregon passed a bill (SB913) banning the sale,possession of ivory, in order to protect African elephants, and I must say it has been quite effective. Since the bill was passed I have not encountered a single African elephant in my neighborhood or in my travels around the state.

There is an exemption in the bill pertaining to guns and knives. You are allowed to posess a gun or knife if less than 20% by volume of the gun or knife is ivory AND you can PROVE the offending gun or knife was made before 1976. When the bill's sponsor was asked how one measures the volume of a gun or knife, his reply was something to the effect ..........it is measured by volume.

This is the kind of idiocy we have to put up with in today's culture.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Too bad I suppose if you have something made more recently fitted w/ pre-ban ivory. One more state to cross off my list of places to visit/do bidness with.

·
Premium Member
20,951 Posts
In April of 2015 the Democratic Legislature of the Peoples Republic of Oregon passed a bill (SB913) banning the sale,possession of ivory, in order to protect African elephants, and I must say it has been quite effective. Since the bill was passed I have not encountered a single African elephant in my neighborhood or in my travels around the state.

There is an exemption in the bill pertaining to guns and knives. You are allowed to posess a gun or knife if less than 20% by volume of the gun or knife is ivory AND you can PROVE the offending gun or knife was made before 1976. When the bill's sponsor was asked how one measures the volume of a gun or knife, his reply was something to the effect ..........it is measured by volume.

This is the kind of idiocy we have to put up with in today's culture.
They probably recommend the use the Archimedes' method of taking the grips off and measuring the volume change when the are immersed in water. The same procedure would be used for the gun, except, in Oregon, they probably recommend using salt water.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
How unfortunate that any state make legal ownership of an item illegal by un-researched and/or unsubstantiated laws and new criminals that were otherwise honest, law-abiding citizens.

·
Registered
11,269 Posts
How unfortunate that any state make legal ownership of an item illegal by un-researched and/or unsubstantiated laws and new criminals that were otherwise honest, law-abiding citizens.
Politics and common sense and facts are generally total strangers to one another...especially when leftists are driving.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Well what did you expect from a communist state. Hey what the hell it's Trumps fault. It's is a shame that a state where freedom began by ancestors who escaped Englands hold on people regulating peoples lives fought for freedom to be able to live free, is the worst state that keeps robbing people of their rights. Go figure. Peoples communist republic of Massachusetts.

·
Registered
10,581 Posts
I can totally see why it makes sense to criminalize possession of ivory taken from an elephant 99 years ago...makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
759 Posts
They probably recommend the use the Archimedes' method of taking the grips off and measuring the volume change when the are immersed in water. The same procedure would be used for the gun, except, in Oregon, they probably recommend using salt water.
Isn't that how Massachusetts determines whether or not a person is a witch?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well what did you expect from a communist state. Hey what the hell it's Trumps fault. It's is a shame that a state where freedom began by ancestors who escaped Englands hold on people regulating peoples lives fought for freedom to be able to live free, is the worst state that keeps robbing people of their rights. Go figure. Peoples communist republic of Massachusetts.
Have you ever heard of NJ?
TN. keeps looking better and better...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Have you ever heard of NJ?
TN. keeps looking better and better...
I left NJ 19 years ago and only go back for Funerals. Only regret I have is not moving to NH earlier.
New folks just moved in across the road from Mass, the movers when leaving-Mass holes,were so nice, they dumped all the garbage from the moving truck cab on our road,spent 1/2 hr cleaning up the mess of cans bottles and lunch garbage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.