Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread on this forum there was a link to engraving work performed by this gentleman. Anyone here have any examples of his work, or know someone who does?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't know if Tony Frost is considered a master engraver or not, as this is the first time I've heard his name. Also, searching his name on the forum turned up no results for me apart from this thread.

But a quick google search leads me to what I believe is his Facebook page where you can see examples of his work: Tony Lee Frost, Hand Engraver, FFL Licensed

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tony Frost indicates he is a Member of FEGA. I searched their Oregon site for him and he does not show up as a master engraver.
Sifting around, his name and their name show up together a few times, but nothing really concrete enough to link.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just out of curiosity, are you looking to have a gun engraved?
Thinking about one; similar to one in the post on another thread in this forum. I’ve already got one in the pipeline with someone else, but the post got me thinking of a way to do yet another.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think the term "Master" gets overly used a lot when speaking of engraving. Although some works look very nice and are artfully done but more than likely no real Master Engraver was involved. However, I'm not really sure who gets to determine who or how the "Master" title is achieved in engraving.

Here's an example that I have communicated with the seller several times. Claims of being Master Engraved. This has been for sell going on many months now. It does appear nice though. However, I questioned the seller as to who engraved it. He doesn't know. He has no clue. No engravers signature has been found but still the seller continues to list it as Master Engraved. Apparently the "Master Engraver" is in the sellers mind only.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, when unsigned, it lends an air of doubt as to the certification of the engraver. A true master would, at least, sign his work under the frame (rifle) or grip frame (handgun). Even Colt, when they once offered this service, specifically stated that journeyman & expert engraved pieces would be unsigned.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: Engravers
Since we are on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for an engraver in Central Texas? I'm willing to drive for the right hand ....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Engravers
Since we are on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for an engraver in Central Texas? I'm willing to drive for the right hand ....
If you're not against shipping, I was recommended John Adams of Adams & Adams Engravers out of Vermont, and I have a gun with him now. Both he and his son are master engravers that have worked directly with/for Colt over the last several decades. A handful of factory master engraved guns were even done by John Adams Sr (maybe Jr. as well), so his reputation holds up. They do quality work for a pretty reasonable price.

A "C" level engraving (75% coverage) will run about $2,000 on a standard Single Action Army, with 3 month turn around time. Depending what you're having engraved, +/- a few hundred based on your gun's size and desired level of engraving.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I think the term "Master" gets overly used a lot when speaking of engraving. Although some works look very nice and are artfully done but more than likely no real Master Engraver was involved. However, I'm not really sure who gets to determine who or how the "Master" title is achieved in engraving.

Here's an example that I have communicated with the seller several times. Claims of being Master Engraved. This has been for sell going on many months now. It does appear nice though. However, I questioned the seller as to who engraved it. He doesn't know. He has no clue. No engravers signature has been found but still the seller continues to list it as Master Engraved. Apparently the "Master Engraver" is in the sellers mind only.

While the pattern is intricate and "busy" as in a Master's work, the execution is not all that good. IMO, this engraver is not a Master.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree, & lack of background to it belies more doubts. I’d need to see a name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts