Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I don't know anything about them, but the only time I ever saw one for sale was marked something like $8000. I have no idea how rare they are or if $1000 would be more market value.

The best source of information is Mauser Pistolen by Weaver, Speed and Schmidt. There is an entire chapter on that model.

Edited to add: There is one on Gunbroker now for $7950 with no bids. So they are apparently considered to be valuable, how much so is a puzzler. I imagine that collector interest is rather limited as opposed to say an 1878 Colt SAA in similar condition which would have a lot of buyers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know anything about them, but the only time I ever saw one for sale was marked something like $8000. I have no idea how rare they are or if $1000 would be more market value.

The best source of information is Mauser Pistolen by Weaver, Speed and Schmidt. There is an entire chapter on that model.

Edited to add: There is one on Gunbroker now for $7950 with no bids. So they are apparently considered to be valuable, how much so is a puzzler. I imagine that collector interest is rather limited as opposed to say an 1878 Colt SAA in similar condition which would have a lot of buyers.
Thanks any info is appreciated

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
They were made in 7mm, 9mm and 10.6mm calibers with the frame sizes and barrel lengths increasing with the caliber. Yours looks like a 9mm version. Production ran from 1878 through October 1884. Ultimately they were too expensive to produce and lost out to the M79 Reichsrevolver pattern for military contracts. Production was fairly limited, maybe less than 3000.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,960 Posts
I learn something every day on this Forum. Today it was a short lesson in what a Mauser C 78 1878 11 mm Zig Zag Revolver is. Thanks to Fbaggettjr for posting the pics and to Walter for his research.

Cam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts