Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am hoping to get opinions on this "Armand Swenson" government model that I located for sale. The seller claims the guy who sold it to him had the gun worked on by Swenson, but he also coincidentally has no paper work to support that. The mods on the gun are not all classic Swenson, BUT I don't know a ton about Swenson's guns anyway. Usually I have seen on Swenson gun, a K frame S&W rear sight for example, but this one of course has a micro rear sight (I think its called). This one also does not have the stippled front strap nor does it have the square trigger guard. It does have the Swenson amdbidextrous thumb safety but I find it odd that this safety is in the white while the gun is blued. The front sight is also basically what I've seen on his guns. The grip safety is extended and it has this custom mag release. There is also this strange fluting on either side of the rear sight that I never saw before on an authentic Swenson, but I am no expert either. The gun also lacks the Swenson barrel positioner.

I am wondering if any of you have opinions on whether this gun is an authentic Swenson?

Also if any of you have any Swenson 1911s, please post. I'd like to see them. The base gun is a 70 series government model. I don't want to pay for a government model that has just a Swenson thumb safety and no other Swenson work. In case any of you don't know, these Armand Swenson custom 1911s as well as the John Giles 1911 customs are becoming quite collectible / sought after due in part to the 1911 craze. These guys were some of the first 1911 pistol smiths and are today the godfathers of custom 1911s. The seller wants a little over $1000 for this one. What do you guys think?

1911 1.jpg 1911 2.jpg 1911 3.jpg 1911 4.jpg 1911 5.jpg

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
a swenson thumb safety does not make it a swenson pistol. i doubt it's swenson's work.

btw, that's a millet rear sight.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Swenson sold the ambidextrous safeties as kits. I bought one and installed it myself on a Combat Commander I later had converted to double action by Seecamp.

The pictured gun does not exhibit the classic Swenson square trigger guard. I suspect it was never touched by Swenson.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I feel very strongly that this gun is NOT a Swenson. I own one. However, I recognize the Millet rear sight install with the fluted slide. I just can't recall who installed them that way. I'm going to say this gun's mods date around early to mid 80s.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
NOPE. I have my doubts Swenson ever saw that pistol. Never saw him use those sights. It does look a lot like my NM 45 with the Swenson AMBI installed by YEST while I talked to him on the phone and he was simultaneously swearing at someone in the background. Never saw one of his pistols without his trademark square trigger guard either.
And so it goes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts