Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a Remington 1858 New Model percussion revolver and have some questions about it - this not the type of firearm I usually get involved in. The revolver has been modified by the addition of a front sight with barrel band and a dovetailed rear sight. The grips or stocks are modern replacements. What is curious about this revolver is the numerous markings on it. On the right side of the barrel near the frame it is stamped with the letter H and then on the frame in front of the cylinder, an inverted W that may have been meant to be a M. On the left side it is marked with a D on the barrel, a R on the frame in front of the cylinder, a R on the rammer and a W at the rear of the frame behind the recoil shield. The W also appears on the bottom flat of the barrel in front of the rammer and there is an R just behind the trigger guard screw. What I assume to be the serial number, 99365 is marked on the bottom flat of the barrel but is covered by the rammer and there are markings or numbers on the butt. The top of the barrel is marked "Patented Sept 14 1858, Remington & Sons Ilion New York USA New - Model" in three lines. The revolver is good and tight and operates correctly with a near excellent bore. the nipples while slightly corroded, are in good shape and not battered beyond use. So I wonder what the markings might indicate. Was it an issued Civil War revolver? No inspectors marks that I can see but again I am not familiar with these revolvers. I will try and get some pictures posted soon. Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
643 Posts
#99365 would be the serial number and it was manufactured in Sept 1864

All the various letters described above are inspector marks. After the revolver was proofed it was disassembled and inspected. If the various parts passed inspection they were then stamped with the inspectors initials, the pistol was then reassembled and the grip cartouche was applied before being shipped.

Remington made app 150,000 Army revolvers with 116,000 being accepted by the Ordinance Dept.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Please post some images of it?

I myself have one, and it is just a joy, very nice to shoot, comfortable, excellent Trigger and Mechanics...the New Model Remington .44s were a fine Revolver.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are a a couple of pictures. It's a shame it got messed with but I guess lots can happen in 153 years. It's odd that in my years of collecting, I do not own a martially marked Civil War era firearm and for a brief moment, I thought I might keep this but I think I will sending it along.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Here are a a couple of pictures. It's a shame it got messed with but I guess lots can happen in 153 years. It's odd that in my years of collecting, I do not own a martially marked Civil War era firearm and for a brief moment, I thought I might keep this but I think I will sending it along.
If you are sure about 'sending it along', please List it in the 'Classifieds' section here on the forum.

I'd be interested...and possibly others here would be also.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Wow, absolutely great
Since I see only conversions and Open Tops I assume that you have even more displays. I guess you also own Colt cap & ball SAA revolver.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Sorry Hans,
My last post was related to Caliber 38's last post with the two displays.

I must say you also have a real nice collection.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Wow, Caliber 38, you really have a great collection. When I see your pictures I think I need to take some new pictures of my collection and post them.
One question, are the cased SAAs in post #16 miniatures manufactured by Uberti in Italy?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts