Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May We See Some Photo\'s of the Official Police?

I was reading over the thread about the Police Positive pictures and got to thinking about my comment there. I've always liked the New Service and find the Police Positives endearing, but never really warmed up to the Official Police. I have a wartime Commando but no Official Police. My Commando is the best shooting DA Colt I own. I'd probably enjoy its civilian counterpart if I had one. Perhaps the Forum could get me fired up about Offical Police revolvers.

They certainly seem bull strong and have really nice DA triggers. I have fairly large hands and long fingers and they fit me well.

Any neat comments out there on your Offical Police revolvers?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: May We See Some Photo\'s of the Official Police?

Here's a picture of my Official Police made in 1945. It does show honest wear but is still a great shooter

·
Registered
907 Posts

Here's a dual tone 1950 model that came from a mine in Michigan -

·
Registered
962 Posts

xx78 - VERY sharp old pistol. While I always enjoy seeing the new in the box examples (and that duotone is nice!), my favorites are the older guns that show some character. Yours has plenty of that!

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Re: May We See Some Photo\'s of the Official Police

man that side plate is polished mirror brite /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif they dont make em like that no more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif also i note the stylized "c" around the trademark

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I alway thought the "C" over the rampant colt was an attractive variation of the logo. That is a fine looking old revolver. The term 'deep blue finish" is bandied about until it sometimes has no meaning...until one looks into the finish of a pre-World War I Colt.

I'm supposing that the two-tone description refers to the mottled grips.

Thank y'all very much for providing the nice revolvers to drool over. Surely I need to have an example in my collection. I'd be pleased with a nice one that showed honest wear.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

"duo tone" was Colt's name for a finish applied to most 1946-53ish revolvers. The top strap,top of frame by side plate,trigger guard and grip straps were given a dull matte finish. The rest was polished blue.

Have often thought that this is what gave S&W 'the idea" for the finish on their very successful,moderately priced M-28 Highway Patrolman.

Having only a couple of pre World War One Colts with 95% or more finish,has turned me off also,to what "modern gun lovers' refer to as "deep blue". Not only did the polishers in the "room of wheels"polish ALL Colts beautifully,and the old style blue took many days to apply,but add the "fire blued" screws,triggers and hammer sides,for one gourgeous gun! But,these finish did NOT survive W.W. One at Hartford-or up the Connecticut River at Springfield for that matter!(I have an S&W Canadian World War One .455 H.E. that has a better polish/blue job,than a couple of .44 Special 2ns and 3rd models made in the 20's).

From what I have been "told",the old style pre W.W. One finish,did NOT wear as well as the latter????

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I'm light on Colts with the really stunning pre-WWI finishes, having exactly one. My New Service Model 1909 is decent with 92-93% blue. With it, one feels like one may see depth in the finish as one sees into a pool of crystal clear water. And yes the screws, hammer and trigger make such nice accents.

I will go so far to say that I haven't seen any other gun that has a more beautiful finish than the Colts of that era. Lonewolf, do you think the S&W's of the same time period were equal? I don't have any pre-WWI S&W's that are in good cosmetic condition to study. In observing nice specimens I would say that the Colt has the finer finish.

One only has to look at the above photo of the 1912 Army Special to get an idea of just how well the guns were polished. It is easy to observe the photographer and what appears to be a portion of a window mirrored in that revolver.

·
Registered
958 Posts

I had never been a fan of the Offical Police UNTIL I bought a 5" blue OP in .32-20 last year. Wow, what an accurate revolver. I might have to find another! Of course, I have a S&W buddy who really rags me about my several Colts, but he shot the OP .32WCF and even he likes it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
938 Posts

I've thought recently that I'd gone a little overboard on the OP-I have quite a few (& 1 Army Special).I've always liked the service revolvers,both Colt & S&W, & am taking advantage of the prices on Colt .22 service revolvers vs. S&W's-although the gap is closing.Here's some of mine w/ period holsters.I still like to shoot the Officers Models better-I can still see the sights on 'em.
6" .22 w/ a Heiser holster

4" .22 w/ Berns-Martin holster

4" .38 Spl. Transitional w/ pre- & post-war features

A nickel & a blue 5" w/ a Clark holster

As far as going overboard-forget I mentioned it.
Regards,
John Witty

·
Registered
593 Posts

John:

Those are indeed some very handsome Colts and holsters. I do agree that you have gone overboard. In fact, I think you ought to focus on Iver Johnsons for a while and lay off the Colts before your affinity for them gets completely out of hand. This is for your own good, mind you.

Here is a pic I had handy of my pre-war Colt OP .22. Alas, no holster.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
938 Posts

A fine looking Colt,Charlie-if I decide to follow your advice,will you take my surplus Colts off my hands ? Should I keep the holsters ?
Regards,
John Witty

·
Registered
593 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
If I decide to follow your advice, will you take my surplus Colts off my hands? Should I keep the holsters ?
Regards,
John Witty

[/ QUOTE ]

John:

I am always willing to help out a friend in need. As a favor to you, I would consider taking those old junker Colts you have been posting about off your hands as long as you are not operating under the delusion that they are worth a lot of money.

As to whether you should keep the holsters, I say dump them too. Why keep the floor mats when you are selling the car?? Best be done with the whole thing, and get back to collecting something like those Iver Johnsons where you still have a chance to get in on the ground floor before the inevitable big run up in values.

No charge for this advice, either.

Your humble servant,
Charlie

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

They are fine plain jane guns that will get the job done. Nice blue finish (as opposed to the parkerized Commando) Carried by Police and FBI for most of the 20th century. You are right, it is a sturdy gun!!! Predecessor to the Python, just not as bulky or expensive. Get one!!!! You know you want it!

·
Registered
582 Posts

How about a picture of a two-inch OP? I saw one last winter in a shop for $250 and while I was thinking about it, it sold, after only a few hours in the case.
I'd sure be happy to find one I could park next to my well-used 1955 four-inch.
Bill

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

2" O.P.s are scarce. I gave just under $400 for my 1956 2" O.P., about 97% shape, several years ago. So,that was one helluva buy,assuming that it was in nice shape---and Original!

Numrich Arms(Gun parts Co.)had quite a few 2" O.P. bbls.(and some marked Marshall and Commando) some years ago.

A general rule of thumb,is that MOST 2" O.P.s came with rounded butts and the matching stocks,such as was standard on the rare 2 and 4 inch Marshall models circa 1954-55.

Probably,a few 2" O.Ps came with squared stocks-nor do I know for certain IF any 2 inch O.P.s were factory made before World War Two.

In any event,the 2" O.P.(and Marshall and Commando) are great concealed carry guns. Not as "small" as the Detective Special(and the alloy D framed Colts--and the S&W J and K Frames),they are a stronger gun,able to handle +P ammo regularly.

Bud

·
Registered
946 Posts

I started working for lockheed aircraft as a guard in early 1965 and stayed till I retired in 2000. We were issued the colt offical police. I checked the serial #s and most were from the early 50s. Around 1970 they replaced most of them for ruger stainless security sixs. I insisted on wearing the old colt untill I retired. It suited me fine as it was lighter. Later years they went to S&W 586s, and I still hung on to the colt for the same reason. And I owned many S&Ws! I did get away for a few years wearing my own personal colt 357 trooper, I would take off the bigger grips and put on the service grips so it would "look" like the company gun. That worked untill another guard ratted me off. Fortunately the captain was a friend and a gunman. The captains was issued colt dective specials if they wanted them. The part that always pissed me off was every time lockheed issued new guns they wouldnt let us buy the old ones! They were hincky about liability and sell the guns to a local gun shop for like 70 bucks! My best friends wife worked for the shop and bought a dick special for 70 bucks that was as new! When I retired after 35 years service they gave me a new #1 badge, that I had been assigned for the last 10 years or so. I did about 32 years of graveyard! I never took captain or other as I had the wiskers and had it knocked for lots of OT and other things and due to union rules I always made more money then the captains and cheif! I think I must hold the worlds record for liveing in the night on graveyard! Sorry for the ramble.

·
Registered
103 Posts

John,
Some very nice OP's. Here is one that you don't see very often the Commando in 2''.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts