Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hashing it over for some months now and decided I want a Super .38 Gov't Model in stainless steel. I have six Gov't model/Commanders in various materials from a Remington Rand G.I. to a bobtail Combat Commander, but they're all .45ACP's. I'm looking for something with a bit more speed and flat trajectory. The Super fits that bill, and with a barrel change I can shoot cheap 9mm ammo. The thing that swayed me to the Super .38 from the 10mm is the .22TCM which uses the Super as it's base frame and slide. Kits are not available currently, but I want one!

The last Super I had was a disappointment on the range, a 1929 Super with severe blood pitting along the left side, mostly the slide. I wish that one could tell the event that caused it!

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Although I had a couple of handguns courtesy of my Dad, one of which was a Series 70 .45, the first handgun I bought was a Series 70 .38 Super.
I like the .38 Super and it may be my favorite cartridge, but having a favorite cartridge is like having a favorite John Wayne or Clint Eastwood movie.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I've never owned a .38 Super but I hope to should the right one come along. I have become quite enamored of the 10mm though...it's right up with the .45 ACP as my favorite caliber.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snidely, I had one heck of a months long fight with myself over a Super or a 10! The super won out as I had one before and liked it. Now that they headspace on the cartridge mouth instead of the rim it should be a lot more accurate.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I reload and cast, dies and a mold would be ordered...and a 9mm barrel for cheap shooting. 9mm can be had for under $200.00 a case for the practice stuff.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I got it in my head back in 2014 that I needed a stainless .38 Super and got one late in the year. As things work out it has taken me till this fall to spend much time with it. Its one of those with an Elcen prefix to the serial number and it shoots very nicely with cast or jacketed, factory or handloads. I'm glad for once that I was impulsive when I spotted it in a used rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got it in my head back in 2014 that I needed a stainless .38 Super and got one late in the year. As things work out it has taken me till this fall to spend much time with it. Its one of those with an Elcen prefix to the serial number and it shoots very nicely with cast or jacketed, factory or handloads. I'm glad for once that I was impulsive when I spotted it in a used rack.
Oooooh, that is one fine looking 1911!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I like this photo.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Competition Model 1911 in 38 Super is a good one. The one I bought is a tack driver. It makes me look like I actually know how to shoot to my friends. Small groups with any handloads I've tried in it so far, and functions 100%. The adjustable rear sight is nice to dial in that special load, but it looks like a regular Novak fixed sight.

·
Registered
337 Posts
One of the the more modern Supers that headspace on the case mouth is a good choice I think. I've been a fan of the Super for a long time, but did own two Colts with the old style barrels that attempted, unsuccessfully, to headspace on the cartridge's semi-rim. Performance was dismal to say the least. They didn't group at 25 yards, they patterned all over the paper at that distance. This, along with bulged cases, flattened and pierced primers,etc. With barrels that headspace properly, none of those issues. I still enjoy shooting and reloading the Super.
I used to have one of the Colt Elcen bright stainless Supers. Colt did a beautiful job with those. Finish like a mirror, but they kept all the flats flat, no washed out roll marks or hogged out pin holes, etc.

Supers.JPG

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I forget what year I bought #1. 38 Super pistols then seemed to multiply here.

I thought I would use a 9mm GM for the less expensive ammunition option. The 9mm GM pistol is here and so is the ammunition. They just gather dust most of the time in comparison.

OP: Stop procrastinating! I just recently converted a devout 45 auto friend. Guess what his Dillon is now set up to load. All I had to do was let him shoot some of mine. You should follow in his footsteps. You will not regret it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts