Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks may be actually doing this, and I am just not aware of it, but why are there not national target shooting competitions using the old early Colt & Smith & Wesson revolvers?

I see people holding their gun hand next to a post, with all sorts of thingies on the auto to enhance their accruacy
in pics of shooting competitions.

Wouldn't it be nice to go back to shooting an old Colt revolver, against another Colt, or Smith & Wesson without having every sight, grip, and accuracy helper on the gun, and restrict it to perhaps pre 1960 revolvers.

I guess you can see I'm an old fxrT!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I seem to remember that most if not all of the police and outdoor target competitions( such as 'PPC') do have a class for the "service revolvers" and I know that I have seen guys shoot NRA Bullseye, usung both Colt .22OMT and the S&W K-22, but this is not often and they are the "few diehards", most of the "others want to win" and buy what ever the 'latest' gimmicks are out there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Robba,
Folks have been doing this for over 100 years in the USRA
( United States Revolver Association ) matches.

it's the oldest HandGun Association in the world ( 105 years old, March of 2005 ).
They formed in 1900 to promote the sport of HandGun shooting and have held both
indoor and outdoor matches every year since, never missed a year. All of there Matches
are fired "offhand" or one handed without any support.

Something that they re-introduced this year was the old time Single Shot Pistol Match,
most all the guns used were Pre 1945. I attended this years Match and it was interesting
to see guns like the Colt Camp Perry Single Shots, S&W Single shots etc. being used.
It's not a question of using the "latest' gimmicks" to win, someone has to win, but it's done
with shooting skill, and guns that "look" like guns, not "gimmicks" or "trick" guns.
There rules are very strict on what "gimmicks" can be used.

Example: most all of the Revolver and Pistol Matches are open iron sights only,
no gimmick or optical type sights allowed.

The Revolvers used were mostly older ones but did go up to the S&W 586 and
the Colt Python.

These are not combat or PPC type matches where a shooter is allowed to use two
hands, they are pure Target Matches. They do have a few man silhouette type shoots
but even they are shot one handed and a Double Action only match. For those interested
check out there web site at http://www.usra1.org
IP

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ira. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I can't believe people actually still shoot one handed. Thats a hoot!

So far I have been just collecting these old Colts, but I intend in the near future to shoot all of them. Like me, I hope they have a few more useful years ahead.

Robba

·
Registered
185 Posts
NRA Bullseye is still pretty neat and I have fired my Ruger Six at a local comp.

As a side note, they also have lever action shoots as well (good ol day shooting).

The Bullseye shootiong is one handed and ALOT of the "trick" stuff is NOT allowed. While maybe some consider adj sites "tricky", I am mostly speaking about optics, longer than 5" barrels, and so on.

Try all the different styles of competitive shooting.....I think you'll like more associations than you might think.

Lee

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Now that's how I remember the matches my grandfather took me to when I was growing up. Balding, pot bellied, old farts chewing up targets and chewing the fat. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thanks Ira.

·
Registered
132 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

The Bullseye shootiong is one handed and ALOT of the "trick" stuff is NOT allowed. While maybe some consider adj sites "tricky", I am mostly speaking about optics, longer than 5" barrels, and so on.

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, NRA bullseye allows all kinds of trick stuff: When I was competing,you had no chance without a good semi-auto (High Standard, Smith 41, or Euro pistol) with a red dot sight mounted. Our club did--just for fun--have a revolver-only match every year. If you want iron sight only pistol bullseye shooting, you're gonna have to go to the international game. There are several, and one, standard pistol, is a lot like our national match course. There's also free pistol (few restrictions on the gun, but you must use irons sights)and international rapid fire, which unfortunately requires an elaborate, five-bay set-up.

If you ask me, it just ain't pistol shooting unless it's iron sights!

Bill

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking into Ira's suggestion, and am also going to suggest the old revolver match thing to my sportsmans club.

Hey watching a bunch of fat bellied old farts firing off old Colt Officers Models, and Smith & Wesson revolvers one handed at targets might just be a lot more fun than looking at the yuppie rapid fire auto boom, boom crowd.

Yee Hawww!

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, NRA bullseye allows all kinds of trick stuff: When I was competing,you had no chance without a good semi-auto (High Standard, Smith 41, or Euro pistol) with a red dot sight mounted. Our club did--just for fun--have a revolver-only match every year. If you want iron sight only pistol bullseye shooting, you're gonna have to go to the international game. There are several, and one, standard pistol, is a lot like our national match course. There's also free pistol (few restrictions on the gun, but you must use irons sights)and international rapid fire, which unfortunately requires an elaborate, five-bay set-up.

If you ask me, it just ain't pistol shooting unless it's iron sights!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, many of the shooters shoot expensive semi-autos, but MANY shoot inexpensive Rugers or Brownings and a few bust out their revolvers.......it really depends on where your shooting.

As far as optics, they are strictly forbidden here at Bayou Rifles. Our range (semi-priv.) hosts regional and state meets.

We also try and group firers into catagories so that the serious, seasoned pro doesn't shoot against a newbie. It's old school, iron sites, one handed, 25 and 50 ft in rapid and quick firing. Some use 3 guns while others use 2, but there are 3 iterations of; .22lr, center fire, and .45.

Just an idea for those that MIGHT want to try.....but as I said, any competitive shooting is good......strike that.....GREAT! Just make sure you take a friend, wife, kid, nephew, grand son, or co-worker and share in the sport.

Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts