Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
CONtinental United States is what it was drawn from.

Some of us can 'ArmySpeak' (or 'MarineSpeak', or whatever) to one another for a long time, using little more than the acronyms peculiar to our Branch, yet familiar enough to other Branches to be understood.

Hooah?

Oohrah!

Airborne!

Out...

·
Registered
251 Posts
LOL I had to laugh reading this post as there were times when I was on active duty I regularly had to google some of the acronyms we came across.

My first duty station was in Germany (USAFE - US Air Force Europe) at a TAC (Tactical Air Command) base. When I PCS'd (permanent change of station) to Dover AFB a AMC (Air Mobility Command) base........ and these are just the easy one's...

CONUS is the place you wanted to go when it came time to DEROS, so you could be REFRAD

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
It actually means conterminous US which is further defined as that which is described by a single line around it. In other words the 48 states. We all said Continental US, but I actually looked it up.
OK cool so now we know what it really means and what it actually refers to.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I spent a lot of time as a mobilized reservist after 9/11 and attended regular senior Air Force staff meetings at various headquarters. It had been awhile since I had been on full time active duty and the young officers had been really busy making up new acronyms while I was out in the civilian world. At one of the commands a new 4-star general took over and after about three weeks of sitting through briefings in the same room with him my eyeballs were rolling back in my head-it was like the briefers were speaking in tongues. That's when the general stops the briefer, looks around the room, and says, "Am I the only one in the room who doesn't have a clue as to what he's saying?" There was a collective sigh of relief among the staff since none of them knew what half of those acronyms meant, either. From that point on they spoke in plain English in his staff meetings and everyone was much happier.

Reactions: Chaffee

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
It's just a phase they go through.

As one rises in rank, plain language and 'brief' briefings are most appreciated - but the younger guys are still enthralled with the uniqueness of it all.

Have a baby LT write the Paragraph 3 of an OPORD (Operations Order) and you'd think we were invading Cambodia again - instead of just heading out to the Range - but I'll tell you this: he's thorough, and covers all the bases.

Because of that CONUS training - when he goes OCONUS, he'll take care of his men.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.