Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all the LGS haunts in Hartford county but are there any other shops in the state that are worth visiting?

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
You already know NGX is the best place to buy Colts, but I've had good luck at Central Ct arms recently.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buick,
I'm starting a list and just added that. I ran into a friend at Cabela's who always has his ear to the ground and he said that the old Riverview (yeah, that one) is now opened up again called Tobacco Valley Guns, or something. I can't find a website or anything. He said they generally tend to cater more toward older/surplus stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I wasn't aware that a new shop had opened in that location, I'll have to check it out, Thanks for posting.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
In spite of the non gun friendly governor , we do have some great gun-shops in CT. As long as you don't want to buy some of the now banned guns. Prices are usually very competitive for SAA and revolvers, both Colt and Smith and Wesson.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I stopped by the new gun store in East Windsor, directly next to where Riverview used to be. I don't know that I would do a lot of business with him. The first gun I saw was a standard Ion Bond M45 for $2500. When I said WOW to the price he said it was marked down to $2200.00. Then he showed me the all original 1920 commercial 1911 that he proceeded to tell me how original it was, and the entire made up story behind it. Price was on the high side just from casual observation. I didn't even bother taking a picture to research it. He did have somewhat reasonable prices on a few other Colt 1911s. He also had a bunch of old M1 Garands and also Pre Ban AR's. I didn't check prices on those. He seemed to want to speed talk me into a sale on every gun I asked to see. IMHO, stop everywhere else first, this is a gun store to visit in sheer desperation. I was actually thinking that I would buy a gun from Cabela's before I bought one from him, if you can imagine that. LOL

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was actually thinking that I would buy a gun from Cabela's before I bought one from him, if you can imagine that. LOL
WOW, that is a BOLD statement! I got my 1908 model M from Cabela's and it took 2 hours to check out. Ridiculous. I'll check the place out when I get up there again because any place that has, as you say, a "bunch" of Garands is necessary for me to pop in. I haven't seen more than 5 in local shops in the past few years.
Didn't have any US 1917 Rifles (Enfield/P17), did they?

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Give a try to Bobs guns and unpainted furniture in Daren. He usually has some interesting stuff. I have bought quite a few guns there. Down Rt 95 in Southport you will find Hansen and Hansen. He is usually over priced but has good stuff for those with deep pockets.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
WOW, that is a BOLD statement! I got my 1908 model M from Cabela's and it took 2 hours to check out. Ridiculous. I'll check the place out when I get up there again because any place that has, as you say, a "bunch" of Garands is necessary for me to pop in. I haven't seen more than 5 in local shops in the past few years.
Didn't have any US 1917 Rifles (Enfield/P17), did they?
He had some older rifles. I'm not up on pre- Garand rifles so I can't say for sure, but he had other old military rifles in addition to probably the 3 garands. He did mention a International Harvester Garand with some paperwork... I think he had 3 Garands.

Oh, yeah, picking a gun up at Cabelas' is horrible. As a matter of fact, I have a M1908 I'm picking up there mid October.... dreading it! I usually go late after the State closes and do the online system, less of a wait.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey deyomatic, just my two cents, these are the store that i visit on and off during any given month. Usually good fair pricing and helpful service.

North Atlantic Sportsman Greyson Guns
Monroe / 203-268-7879 Orange / 203-5539077

Hoffman's Gun Exchange Newington Gun Exchange
Newington / 860-666-8827 Newington / 860-667-2658 These are my go to. Good luck.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'm only a few miles from Hoffman's...I usually pop in there every few weeks. Newington Gun Exchange, as mentioned before, is great for old stuff.

I checked in at Greyson's today- unless they opened a new shop, they are in Orange now. Had a decent looking Stainless Government Model in 38 Super that was tempting, but not really on my list right now.

I'll keep that one in Darien in mind, but I'm never down that way anymore.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an FYI for you all, according to a sign on the side of the road in Orange today, there is a gun show somewhere down that way (Route 122?) in Orange on 10/7. Not sure if I'll be able to make it down there.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On another note....any decent gun clubs to join in the Hartford area? Just looked into a few online and it seems like most of them require one or more club members as a sponsor. Any ideas? I figure if I can't leave I may as well try to make the most of it! Feel free to send a PM if you are so inclined.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts