Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I remember being in a store. Standing in a long line with steaks and beer for later. A soldier was 2 or 3 people in front of me. Behind the Soldier was a man younger than I was. He said to the Soldier in front of him, Happy Memorial Day. The Soldier turned and said Thank you, but I am not dead yet.

Let's remember what Memorial Day Weekend is all about. There are many who feel to thank Veterans this weekend. Facebook is full of them. Although I think you should thank Veterans everyday, I also feel out of respect, perhaps you should wait until after Memorial day.
Veterans do have their special day to say Thanks which is November 11th.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
You stated that very well SixGunHunter! Personally, I don't try to correct folks that treat Memorial Day more like Veterans Day because I know their heart is probably in the right place and they are just showing respect. However, for those of us who have served in combat and some of our friends names are on "The Wall"; it really all comes home to us!

In Remembrance: your names aren't on "The Wall", but you were there and died there just the same:

LCDR James L. Anderson, VAW-115, Lost at Sea August 8, 1972.

AZ1 Bobby Cobb, VAW-115, killed August 8, 1972.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Let us never forget the Military men & women who had their lives taken from them defending our Country.
Thanks!
Frank

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
A few years ago I had, well we had, my Brother and I; We delivered a boat from St Augustine FL to Tampa. But on the way back we stopped at the National Cemetary which I think was in Ocala National Forest, to visiit the gravesite of a good friend of ours who served in the Army Air Corps (USAF) in WWII.
It was Friday, Memorial Day weekend. I must say that this was a very solemn experience, especially because of M-day. Lots of activity, several funerals, etc. Well we drove around and found our friends resting place, and when you walk out through the markers I must say that it really puts the real meaning to Memorial Day.

I was packing, and guns are a no-no! Cops and MPs all over the place. Where we stopped was kind of secluded, but I did leave my gun in the truck, although it probably wasn't necessary. NO GUN ALLOWED! I felt a bit relieved when we left.

I did make one mistake. I wanted to salute all those grave markers when we left, but forgot to!.

"SEMPER FIDELIS"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to add that the Soldier in my 1st post was very professional in the way he handled himself, but he also made his point. Old-Colts makes a very good point and as much as I would like to correct those who thank all on this Memorial day Weekend, I don't. For me, I reflect those in my family that never returned from war.

S/Sgt. Roger H Wyatt, 20th AAC, 73rd Bomb Wing, 498th Bomb Group, 873rd Bomb Squadron B-29 Right Gunner aboard "Joltin Josie, The Pacific Pioneer". Lost April 1, 1945. Saipan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts