Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grandfather was more than a father to me. I was the only boy grandchild. From Fayette County, TX he went to California at age 18 (1884) and worked for a while. Back home attended a business school and later became a process server, seen on horse here. Note leather leggings and .41 Thunderer. I think the gun is tethered there only to show a gun. He didn't like the .41 and got a SAA .45 when he became a Deputy Sheriff, see commission copy dated 1890. Never talked about his Deputy work, saying once when on the lookout for someone and he found him dead in the woods. He carried his gun in his waistband with the loading gate open to keep it from fall thru. Telling me that, my Grandmother chimed in about always having to do extra washing where he carried 'that pistol'. Ca.1900 he became Justice of the Peace until 1908 when he moved to Oklahoma, in insurance business. His older brother a lawyer, had come to OK in 1889 and became a state Senator with Statehood in 1907.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
It's amazing what people back then did and acomplished in what seems like a relatively short time. They also took on alot more responsibilities at younger ages. Great story and fantastic pictures.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Wonderful history Robert :) Texas is rife with stories and it so happens I married into a family that had the last Texas feud "back in the day" that is chronicled in the book "The Johnson-Sims Feud: Romeo and Juliet, West Texas Style" by Texas historian Bill O'Neal. The family met and were given autographed books by Mr. O'Neal and makes for fascinating reading. Had I known my wife was kin to such, I'd still marry her all over again :)

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
and there's still a little place named Ledbetter in Fayette County....
Just up the road from Carmine, on US 290
Like those stirrups, built for hard riding work in the saddle

rayb

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Robert,
We have more in common than just Colts. My Great Great Great uncle Richard Faires was sherriff of Fayette county from 1870 to 1874 and later mayor of Flatonia for 2 terms. Hes born and passed in Fayette County living on his fathers, William Alexander, head right from the Texas Revolution.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I wonder if he ever had a run-in with my great grandfather? :eek:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Many of those guys of a century or so ago had very versatile careers. I had a grandfather who I know for sure was a ranch hand, a storekeeper, a roofer and tinsmith, a coal miner, a railroad worker, a power company lineman, a moonshiner, and in his declining years was a bouncer in a speakeasy with a reputation for being the toughest B-----d in town. And maybe some other pursuits I don't know about mixed in. And everyone today whines about not being able to get a job.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
and there's still a little place named Ledbetter in Fayette County....
Just up the road from Carmine, on US 290
Like those stirrups, built for hard riding work in the saddle

rayb
I've got a small collection of 6 saddles here in my front room,1 of them is a Texas rig & 1 of them is a Santa Fe saddle w/the same wide stirrups on it as in the picture, the newest saddle I've got was made in the 1950's & 2 or 3 of them pre-date 1900,my ex-wife's grandma was related to the Youngers & my great uncle was Al Jennings who by the way taught Tex Ritter how to use a gun when he 1st started making movies around 1935 or '36.I kinda followed in his footsteps & worked as a gun coach @ MGM in the late 50's & early 60's.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Great family history and documentation.I think the difference between then and now is that if you didn't work you didn't eat.People accomplished more because you took the job because you needed to survive.They also accomplished more in less time because they had less time due to a way shorter lifespan.JMHO

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Most things then were about meritocracy - if you had aptitude, and could learn the elements and procedures of a subject, and demonstrate proficiency and skill, you went with it. If you were a quick learner, you went quicker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts